In the build-up to race day, NYRR will also debut NYRR Race Week Live, a live daily program to be streamed live Tuesday through Friday (November 2-5) from the race media center in Central Park. The program will be available online at: www.nyrr.org
The show, hosted by Emmy Award winning TV broadcaster Toni Reavis and former London Times athletics journalist David Powell, will feature commentary and discussion along with interviews with pro athletes and coaches. A daily roundtable discussion will tackle the sport's hottest topics and analyze the day's news. Expected roundtable guests include Liz Robbins of the New York Times, Wayne Coffey of the New York Daily News and David Willey of Runner's World. NYRR Race Week Live will be streamed live daily at 11:00am ET Tuesday through Thursday and 10:00am ET on Friday.
In addition, at 9:00pm ET daily beginning on Tuesday, The Daily Cool Down will provide viewers with an exclusive, behind-the-scenes peek at the weeklong spectacle of the ING New York City Marathon. Cool Down will also be streamed live at: www.nyrr.org
On race day, fans have several ways to watch stars like world record holder Haile Gebrselassie of Ethiopia, defending champion Meb Keflezighi of the United States, and talented marathon debutante Shalane Flanagan of the United States. Viewing options include broadcast, online and several mobile platforms including:
* National same-day coverage from 2:00-4:00pm ET on NBC (check local listings)
WNBC New York:
* Five hours of live coverage on WNBC in the New York metro area (9:00am-2:00pm)
* Additional coverage and race streaming on New York Nonstop cable channel and nbcnewyork.com
Universal Sports (television / online Universalsports.com):
* Live coverage / streaming across Universal Sports cable and online platforms on Race Day
* iPhone / iPad: first-ever ING NYC Marathon iPhone / iPad apps (see below for details)
* Athlete trackers and course information
* SMS Text alerts: sign-up in advance on ING NYC Marathon website ( www.INGnycmarathon.org ) or via on-demand text on Race Day
NYRR's first-ever iPhone and iPad applications will provide fans with the best mobile spectator experience anywhere in the sport. The free and premium apps will be available in the iTunes App Store beginning Sunday, October 31. Features include:
* Live streaming of the men's and women's races as well as the entire 5-hour WNBC / Universal broadcast (live stream available via premium app for $5.99)
* Live athlete trackers to follow the pros and runners throughout the race (available via premium app for $5.99)
* Video segments including athlete bios and race previews
* Twitter, news and photo feeds updated constantly throughout Race Day
* Course information and viewing locations
More than 45,000 runners will participate in this year's race with more than 2 million spectators lining the streets of New York City. Millions more will catch the action across the above multi-media platforms in the U.S. and around the world.
The premier event of New York Road Runners, the ING New York City Marathon is one of the world's great road races, drawing nearly 105,000 applicants. The race attracts many world class professional athletes, not only for the more than $600,000 in prize money, but also for the chance to excel in the media capital of the world before two million cheering spectators and a worldwide broadcast reach of 330 million. As any one of the more than 830,000 past participants will attest, crossing the finish line in Central Park is one of the great thrills of a lifetime.
For more information, visit: www.INGnycmarathon.org