Spicy crystallized ginger and rich dark chocolate create a delicious flavor combination in this biscotti recipe--perfect for the holidays--from Martha Stewart's Whole Living: Body + Soul in Balance magazine.
THE CREATOR:Martha Stewart has turned homemaking into an art form with her expansive media and merchandise portfolio, which includes award-winning magazines, best-selling books, MarthaStewart.com, Martha Stewart Radio on Sirius XM and merchandise at Macy's and Kmart.
Although best known for entertaining, Stewart is also passionate about natural health and sustainability. She is an organic gardener dedicated to eating a whole-food diet and practices yoga on a regular basis to stay in shape.
"Whole Living is an expression of Martha's lifestyle," says Editor-in-Chief Alex Postman, who offers the following advice to stay healthy this holiday season:
- Eat a pre-party snack. Don't save room for a big holiday dinner by starving yourself earlier in the day. A smarter approach is to eat a mix of protein and healthy fats, such as fruit and cheeses, to keep you satisfied longer.
- Choose a smaller plate. When at a party, simply eating from a smaller plate will help you to avoid overeating. Also, make sure you are being social and not just standing around the food.
- Stay active. Go for a post-meal walk or run. If possible, consider walking to and from a holiday party instead of driving.
- Focus on what you should eat, not what you shouldn't. If you eat nourishing meals, such as a fiber-rich breakfast and a lunch containing vegetables and protein, you can afford to eat a couple cookies and not sweat it.
- Allow yourself to indulge. When you do eat a delicious holiday treat, take the time to truly savor it.
THE NUTRITIONIST'S TAKE:Matthew Kadey, RD, says the two main benefits of this recipe are the walnuts and dark chocolate. Walnuts contain more omega-3 fats than other nuts, which have been linked to reduced inflammation. Dark chocolate contains an abundance of polyphenol antioxidants thought to help shore up heart health.
Double Dark Chocolate and Ginger Biscotti1 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 large egg, plus 1 large egg yolk
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
3 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger