Here are a few healthy recipes by some of the best chefs.
Healthy Recipe by Cheryl Forberg, R.D., author of Flavor First: Cut Calories and Boost Flavor with 75 Delicious, All-Natural Recipes (Rodale, 2011)
Makes 4 servings
For the Roasted Tomatillo Salsa:
- 1 pound tomatillos, husks removed, rinsed
- 1 cup canned no-salt-added fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted, peeled and coarsely chopped
- ? cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon chipotle pur?e, optional (see recipe below)
- ? teaspoon salt
- Preheat the broiler or grill. Broil or grill the tomatillos until their skins blister and just begin to char, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Combine the tomatillos, tomatoes, roasted pepper, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, chipotle pur?e (if desired) and ? teaspoon salt in a food processor. Pulse until the ingredients are finely chopped but not pur?ed. Season to taste with additional salt.
For the Chipotle Pur?e:
- 1 (7-ouce) can chipotle chili peppers in adobo sauce
- ? cup water
- Pur?e the contents of the can and the water in a blender or food processor until smooth. Transfer to a glass jar and store in the refrigerator. The pur?e keeps refrigerated for 1 month or more.
More: Summer Weight-Loss Tips
For the Ceviche:
- 8 ounces canned whole shrimp, drained
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, diced
- 1 cup diced cucumber (unpeeled)
- ? medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup roasted tomatillo salsa (recipe above) or your favorite salsa
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chipotle pur?e (recipe above)
- ? teaspoon salt, optional
- Combine the shrimp, avocado, cucumber, bell pepper and cilantro in a bowl and gently toss.
- Combine the salsa, lime juice and chipotle pur?e in a small bowl. Stir well and add to the shrimp mixture. Season with salt, if desired. Toss gently. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Nutritional information (per 3 1/2 ounces): 120 calories; 9 g fat; 5 g carbs; 13 g protein; 2 g fiber; 300 mg sodium