Malnubesity is when the body is overweight, but undernourished. It is also known as an energy dense or hypo-micronutrient diet.
A diet that leads to malnubesity consists of white sugars, flours, and trans fat. Meals consist of more than enough calories, but are nearly void of nutritional value. These individuals, while overweight, are in fact starving for nutrients.
The ultimate remedy is consuming nutrient-rich foods at every meal. Keeping a healthy weight is about making the right choices. Choose an egg white omelet over pancakes or a salad with a fresh protein (chicken or fish) instead of a sandwich with enriched bread.
Here is a great winter recipe that's low in calories, full of nutrients, and incredibly cheap and easy. A major bonus about this soup is that it contains 60 percent of your daily Vitamin C.
Chipotle Chicken Soup
- 6 cups reduced sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 head of garlic, cloves peeled and separated
- 8 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium poblano or Anaheim chile pepper, chopped
- 1 can chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 4 medium radishes, sliced
- 1/2 small avocado, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime quartered
Nutrition Events Near You
1. Bring broth, water, garlic and chicken to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to simmer and cook, skimming off any foam that rises to the top.
2. Simmer until garlic is soft and chicken is cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes.
3. Remove from heat, transfer garlic with slotted spoon to a blender. Transfer chicken to a clean cutting board.
4. In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and poblano chile and cook, stirring until beginning to brown, eight to 10 minutes. Add to the broth.
5. Add 1/2-cup broth and chipotle pepper to the blender and process until smooth. Pour the mixture back into the broth in the pan.
6. Stir in rice, bring to boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until rice is tender, about 10 minutes.
7. Shred the chicken and divide per serving. Top with equal portions radish, avocado, and cilantro. Serve with a wedged lime.
- Calories: 232.40
- Cholesterol: 41.18 mg
- Fat: 6.0754 g
- Calories from Fat: 19.5
- Protein: 21.287 g
- Carbohydrates: 24.001 g
- Fiber: 4.6087 g
Eat right and perform better. Find a nutrition plan for you.
Cassandra's understanding for healthy living began in childhood, where her parents stressed an active and health conscious lifestyle early on. Cassandra carried this healthy foundation throughout her adult life, becoming a competitive runner, swimmer, cyclist and accomplished equestrian. Cassandra believes that a healthy body derives from a healthy mind. She insists that wellness and shortcuts do not mix, as her "Healthy for Life" mentality require simple, solid and empowering actions and changes in ones lifestyle, not a quick fix.