Who doesn't like a yummy gift of homemade food? Whether you give a certificate for breakfast in bed or fill a tin with trail mix, food gifts are welcome treats for hungry athletes. These suggestions are sure to please anyone.
These pancakes are light and fluffy prizewinners.
1/2 cup uncooked oats (quick or old fashioned)
1/2 cup yogurt (or milk plus 1/2 teaspoon vinegar)
1/2 to 3/4 cup milk
1 egg (or 2 egg whites), beaten
1 tablespoon oil, preferably canola
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt, as desired
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup flour, preferably half whole-wheat
1. In a medium bowl, combine the oats, yogurt, and milk. Set aside for 15 to 20 minutes to let the oatmeal soften.
2. When the oatmeal is through soaking, beat in the egg and oil; mix well. Add the sugar, salt, and cinnamon, then the baking powder and flour. Stir until just moistened.
3. Heat a nonstick griddle over medium-high heat.
4. Pour about 1/4 cup batter onto the griddle per pancake. Turn when the tops are covered with bubbles.
5. Serve with syrup, applesauce, berries and/or yogurt.
Yield: six 6-inch pancakes
Total calories: 1,000
330 calories per two pancakes
57 g carb, 10 g protein, 7 g fat
Carrot Apple Muffins
These muffins are hearty and moist. Enjoy them plain or with peanut butter.
1 1/2 cups flour, preferably half whole wheat
1 1/2 cups dry oats, blenderized into "flour"
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
1 1/2 apples, peeled and shredded
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1. In a medium bowl, mix flour, oat bran, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
2. Add the beaten eggs, vanilla, and milk; then the carrots, apples, raisins, and nuts. Stir gently until blended.
3. Prepare muffin tins with paper cups (treated with cooking spray for best results). Fill the muffin cups full.
4. Bake in preheated oven at 350? F for 15 to 20 minutes. Test for doneness with a toothpick.
Yield: 18 medium muffins (or 12 large)
Total Calories: 2,250
125 calories per medium muffin
25 g carb, 4 g protein, 1 g fat