We can just imagine if you didn't grow up eating artichokes and you are encountering them for the first time they might appear a little intimidating.? But they needn't be?they're the best-tasting bud in the thistle family and are very versatile.?
The edible parts include a section of the leaves, the heart, and in certain varieties, the stem.? From March to May artichokes are plentiful in supermarkets.?These nifty powerhouses have?7 grams of fiber, 4.5 grams of protein, 0 fat and 68 calories for a medium-size one. One bite dipped in our fabulous Skinny Garlicky Dip and you'll know why artichokes have been called "The fruit with a heart of gold."
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40-50 minutes
- 4 large artichokes
- 1 lemon
- Garlic powder
- Fresh ground pepper
- Skinny Garlicky Dip, recipe follows
- Wash artichokes just before using.?Make sure to flush out any dirt found between the leaves.? Slice off the stem to form a flat base and snap off the tough outer leaves closest to the stem.?Trim off about ? inch of the pointed top.?Using scissors, snip off the prickly tips of the outer leaves.?Rub all edges with lemon to prevent discoloration.
- In a large pot or roaster, fill about 3 inches of water.?Place the artichokes in one layer on the bottom.?Sprinkle each with garlic powder and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and cook over moderate heat for about 40-50 minutes until a leaf comes off easily.? Drain and cool enough to handle.
- To remove the center choke, gently spread open the top leaves of each artichoke and using a spoon, remove and discard the fuzzy choke.
- Serve warm or cover and refrigerate until ready to use.?Serve with our Skinny Garlicky Dip on the side.