We're sorry, but this activity is over. The last meeting was Sunday, December 12, 2021.
National Lifeguard certification is Canada's professional lifeguard standard. This training develops a sound understanding of lifeguarding principles, good judgement, and a mature and responsible attitude towards the lifeguard’s role. It emphasizes prevention and effective rescue response in emergencies including first aid treatment. Candidates develop teamwork, leadership and communication skills. Fitness requirements include a timed object recovery, 50 meter sprint challenge, 50 meter rescue drill and 400 meter endurance challenge. Program includes classroom and water activities.
100 % attendance and participation are required.
- 15 years of age by first day of the course
- Bronze Cross
- Standard First Aid
NLS Awards will be mailed to successful candidates by the Lifesaving Society. Certification of this award is for 2 years.
Participants must give prerequisites to the instructor at the first class:
- 15 years of age by the first day of the course
- Bronze Cross
- Standard First Aid award.
- Alert, Lifeguarding in Action - approximate cost $43.00
- National Lifeguard Award Guide - approximate cost $24.00
- 1 CPR pocket mask with a 1-way valve
- 1 whistle (recommended Fox 40)
- 6 pairs of latex-free gloves
- 2 roller gauzes
- 5 triangular bandages
- 10 gauze pads
- 1 golf pencil
- 1 silver mylar blanket.
Program includes classroom and water activities - 100% attendance and participation are required * Fitness requirements include a timed object recovery, 50-meter sprint challenge, 50-meter rescue drill and 400-meter endurance challenge.
NLS Awards will be mailed to successful candidates by the Lifesaving Society Prior to attending your course, please review the current COVID-19 screening tool found at www.gov.mb.ca and call 311 if you are unable to attend your course as scheduled.
You will be required to wear a mask to enter civic facilities and your mask must be worn throughout this course (with exception to demonstrating in water activities and CPR resuscitation on a mannequin).
Please adhere to a 2m separation between yourself and others while in civic facilities.
The following health and safety precautions have been taken for the in-person attendance requirement of all courses:
- Separate entrance and exit points have been established for facilities hosting in-person courses
- Sanitization stations will be available on-site and Covid-19 questionnaires to be verified to have been completed before entry to classroom (and access denied for anyone answering “yes” to any of the questions).
- Sanitizing of shared supplies will be completed in between each use
- Sanitizing & cleaning of certification room and contents (i.e. tables, chairs, etc.) within this room will be completed prior to the next scheduled use of the room
- Sanitizing & cleaning of high-touch surfaces within facility will be completed several times daily
Please maintain a 2-meter (6 feet) separation between staff and patrons whenever possible; limit close encounters to less than 10 minutes (not applicable to people living together in the same household).
Please arrive dressed to swim; access to showers, lockers, washrooms will be reduced and cleaned frequently, as will public spaces.
No class October 10th, 2021
SJACP - Deep - Lane 5 at St. James Assiniboia Centennial Pool
To Be Determined