Having the right food storage containers makes it so much easier to use your pantry and fridge space effectively—and encourages you to actually keep some leftovers rather than scraping uneaten food into the garbage. They're also great for eating healthy on the road or establishing portion sizes for food tracking. The best food storage containers are tight and secure enough to keep their contents fresh, while also providing aesthetics that compliment your kitchen.
As you look for the best food storage containers, consider these recommendations from the ACTIVE Reviews Team. These are our picks for the best products on the market today, based on extensive research.
Why Trust Us?
The ACTIVE Reviews Team is made up of fitness experts that include athletes, coaches, and certified trainers who bring their years of knowledge and experience to each review. More importantly, each member of our team is a fitness enthusiast. Fitness may be our job, but it is also our passion. Therefore, we strive to bring you products that we trust and would personally use.
The Best Food Storage Containers - Our Top Picks
By clicking on the product links in this article, we may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full affiliate disclosure here.
- Best Overall Food Storage Container: Rubbermaid Brilliance Food Storage Containers
- Best Value Food Storage Container: Snapware Food Storage Container Set
- Best Long-Lasting Food Storage Container: Anchor Hocking TrueSeal Glass Food Storage Containers
- Best Space-Saving Food Storage Container: Joseph Joseph Nest Lock Plastic Food Storage Container Set
- Best Glass Food Storage Container: Pyrex Simply Store 18-Piece Set
- Best Vacuum Seal Food Storage Container: FoodSaver Preserve & Marinate Vacuum Containers
What to Consider When Shopping for Food Storage Containers
When shopping for the best food storage containers, there are a few factors to keep in mind:
- Material. Glass containers are transparent and very easy to wash. The downside? They can be a little heavy and are potentially more breakable than other materials. On the other hand, plastic containers are transparent and lightweight, but can be annoying to clean by hand and sometimes aren't dishwasher safe. Silicone or metal are more durable, but aren't transparent. Picking the best material depends on what you plan to use the containers for and what features are most important to you.
- Size. Do you prefer your food storage containers to all be the same size, or do you like having an assortment of different sizes? This is really just a question of personal preference.
- Shape. This also comes down to preference and intended use. Are you looking to organize your pantry, or do you need containers that will fit easily in the fridge?
Best Overall - Rubbermaid Brilliance Food Storage Containers
For a set of food storage containers that meets all your needs, look no further than to this five-piece set from Rubbermaid. These containers are 100-percent leak-proof, and come with secure latches to eliminate your risk of spills. BPA-free plastic provides full transparency that's as clear as glass.
Built-in vents make microwaving easy, while multi-sized compartments enable an elegant way to keep different food items separate from one another. These clear, secure, stackable containers work well in any situation, but are especially good for storing leftovers in the fridge, meal prepping, or bringing along last night's dinner to heat up for lunch.
- Durable plastic that's as clear as glass
- Easy to stack
- Secure, spill-proof lids
- Vents built in for microwaving
- Having 2 compartments reduces capacity
- Not as stain resistant as glass
Best Value - Snapware Food Storage Container Set
There's nothing fancy about this Snapware set—it's simply a stack of rectangular containers with snug-fitting lids. But sometimes that's all you want, and for this incredibly low price point, the Snapware set represents a great value. The plastic is BPA-free, clear, and microwave-friendly. These containers can go on the top rack of the dishwasher and are safe for the freezer.
- Modest price point
- Safe for microwave, freezer, and dishwasher
- Write and erase label built-in
- Great if you want uniform sizing
- The plastic is clear, but not quite as crystalline as other containers
- Not recommended if you need different sizes and shapes
Best Long Lasting - Anchor Hocking TrueSeal Glass Food Storage Containers
If you're looking for food storage containers that will hold up for many years, glass is usually the way to go since it doesn't get brittle over time, get stained, or absorb odors the way plastic does. The Anchor Hocking TrueSeal Glass Food Storage Containers are an especially durable option. This set offers crystalline clarity, several color options for the lids, airtight seals, and full leak resistance. The round containers come in a few different sizes, giving you some flexibility. And you can use these containers in the freezer, dishwasher, microwave, and even the oven.
- Crystal-clear glass
- Long-lasting materials
- Airtight seal
- OK to use in the freezer, dishwasher, microwave, and oven
- Round containers aren't always as convenient to store
- Not recommended if you prefer uniform sizing
Best Space Saving - Joseph Joseph Nest Lock Plastic Food Storage Container Set
Made with silicone and plastic, these leak-proof containers are an elegant organizational solution. It's incredibly easy to stack them, and there's even a color-coding system to make it clear which ones fit where. Additionally, these containers have lockable, leakproof lids to ensure airtight seals. And, you'll get a full range of sizes that all nest together for incredible space savings.
- Great for organization and space saving
- Color-coded nesting system
- Various sizes included
- BPA-free materials
- Safe for top rack of dishwasher
- Not recommended if you prefer uniform sizing
- Not the best option for clarity/transparency
Best Glass - Pyrex Simply Store 18-Piece Set
There are pros and cons to getting glass containers: They tend to be longer lasting and easier to clean, though they also weigh more than plastic or silicone and are more breakable if not properly taken care of. But if glass is what you want, you could do a lot worse than this generous set from Pyrex. These containers include a range of sizes and encompass both round and rectangular shapes. The glass containers are safe for use in the microwave, freezer, oven, and dishwasher, and the plastic lids are top-rack dishwasher safe and BPA-free.
- Huge range of sizes
- Both round and rectangular options
- Easy to clean
- Don't stain and absorb odors like plastic
- 2-year warranty
- Microwave, freezer, oven, and dishwasher safe
- Heavier than plastic containers
- A little pricier than other options
- More breakable than plastic
Best Vacuum Seal - FoodSaver Preserve & Marinate Vacuum Containers
Vacuum seals are ideal when you really want to seal in the freshness. This set offers a really nice vacuum seal, plus a "marinate" mode that speeds up your marination time to just minutes. The two sizes cover a variety of food storage needs, and the crack- and shatter-resistant material makes these containers especially well-suited for the freezer.
- 2-piece set with 3-cup and 10-cup sizes
- Great for sealing in freshness of your food
- Great for the freezer
- Great for marinating
- Pricier than other options
- Not everyone will need all the features
FAQs About Food Storage Containers
Is it safe to store leftovers in a plastic container?
Most of the plastic containers you'll find today are devoid of any toxic materials, which means they should be perfectly fine to keep food safe and secure. Just be sure not to place containers in the microwave unless they are expressly labeled as microwave-safe.
How long will plastic containers last?
It's generally recommended to replace plastic food storage containers every 5-10 years.
How long can I keep leftovers in the fridge?
While it can vary depending on what kind of food it is, a good rule of thumb is to consume any leftovers within 3-4 days.