Cool new research in Diabetologia finds that if diabetics spend an hour walking, they can actually lower their blood sugar by doing intervals, alternating three minutes of quick walking with three minutes of slow walking. That got us to thinking, this is just the latest in a ridiculous amount of evidence that walking is kind of the best thing ever. Let us count the ways.
1. It's good for your brain. Walking for 40 minutes three times a week improves your brain functioning.
2. It helps you stay fit even when the weather sucks. Just make sure you're using the treadmill correctly.
3. And when you're traveling. A two-hour nature walk totally counts as a workout!
4. Walkability makes a city a more desirable place to live. Is your city on our list of the top 10 most walkable metropolises? (Wow, metropolises is a word?)
5. You can turn it into a crazy uppe-body workout. Yes, upper body! All you need is a good set of poles.
6. It comes with its own gear. Obvi you can kind of walk in anything, but if you want to get serious there are some super-sweet kicks designed just for walking. And you know we love fit gear.
7. And it can torch serious calories. Try this 30-minute walking workout and please don't curse us tomorrow when you're super-sore.
Stay in shape in a fitness class.