Jazz Improv will meet in person for Fall Term 2021!
For returning students. These theory classes are devoted to the study of specifically chosen jazz tunes, focusing on: 1) Roman numeral analysis of chord progressions; 2) chord tones; 3) guide tones; 4) chord-scale pairs; and 5) building melodic etudes to improve jazz soloing skills. General topics of jazz theory are also addressed, including: scales and modes; chord construction; interpreting chord symbols; intervals; jazz composition; jazz rhythms; building a melodic vocabulary; "inside" versus "outside" playing; and using jazz theory to build & strengthen your improvisation practice regimen.
Participants who are also enrolling in Jazz Combo should enroll for the same weekday as their Jazz Improv class. Music theory questions and improvising strategies are discussed in Theory and applied in Combo performance.
In the Jazz Improv classes, music theory is discussed from a jazz perspective, with an emphasis on understanding modes, chord progressions, and improvising melodies. Students are encouraged to study transcribed solos by acknowledged jazz masters, as well as creating their own transcriptions. Extensive class notes are provided for study and discussion.
New student enrollment is subject to instructor approval; please contact Music Center for more information.
Please note that all classes are subject to cancellation due to low enrollment.
In Person Attendance Procedures:
Unless restricted by state or government restrictions, the class will be held in person.
Those attending in person will be required to:
- Complete our health questionnaire before each attended class.
- Fill out our one time waiver. Waiver will be provided at first session.
- Provide proof of vaccination. Exemptions may be made for health and religious reasons.
- Those exempted will be required to provide a negative test with 48 hours of entering Music Center for each visit. Please contact email@example.com with questions regarding exemptions.
- Adhere to Music Center’s continually developing reentry protocols.
901 N 96th St., Seattle, WA 98103
David Matthew Shere