Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Spray an 8x12-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Toss the oatmeal and almonds together on a baking sheet, and toast in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes, tossing every once in a while, until lightly browned. Transfer oats and almonds to a large mixing bowl, and stir in the farro, flaxseed and wheat germ.
Place the oil, honey, maple syrup, almond extract, cinnamon and salt in a saucepan over medium heat, and bring to a boil. Cook and stir for one minute, then remove from heat. Pour mixture over oats, almonds, farro, flaxseed and wheat germ, and stir to combine. Stir in the dried blueberries.
Pour the mixture into the baking pan, and lightly press the mixture into the pan with a baking spatula. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until light brown. Cool in the pan for at least two hours before cutting into bars.
Super Grain #3: Amaranth
A seed native to Central America, amaranth has a toasty, nutty flavor and is sold as seeds, flour or puffed cereal. One cup of gluten-free amaranth contains a whopping 13 grams of fiber, 980 grams of potassium, an important electrolyte that regulates heartbeat and muscle function, as well as 30 percent of the USDA recommended daily amount of calcium, 81 percent of the recommended amount for iron and 55 percent of the recommended daily amount for vitamin B6. Unlike most grains, amaranth contains lysine, an amino acid similar to the protein found in milk.
Amaranth Porridge With Spiced Apples and Pears RecipePorridge Ingredients
- 1/2 cup amaranth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup dairy, almond, soy, hemp or rice milk
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey, optional
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds, optional
- 1 tablespoon chopped almonds, cashews or walnuts, optional
- 1 bosc pear, chopped
- 1 gala or granny smith apple, chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 slices fresh ginger
- zest and juice of half an orange
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract