Run, Walk or Join Virtually to Stop Child Abuse in the Lowcountry
The Isle of Palms Connector Run offers a 5k run, 5k walk and a 10k run with one of the most scenic views in the South. All funds raised go directly to local organizations for the prevention of child abuse right here in Charleston. Come and support our cause and this unique opportunity to run or walk over the Isle of Palms Connector.
This year, the 5K & 10K #IOPrun for prevention of child abuse will offer a virtual fun run option as well as the in-person race along the Isle of Palms connector bridge on Saturday, October 2nd, 2021. After a year like no other, we are excited to host a hybrid event – both in-person and virtual – to allow for members of our community to participate in any way they feel comfortable.
The Isle of Palms Connector Run will be a challenging road race across the IOP Connector. Starting at 8 AM on the Isle of Palms, crossing into Mount Pleasant and returning to IOP, 10K and 5K runners and walkers of all experience levels and ages will be rewarded with beautiful vistas of the Atlantic Ocean, Intracoastal Waterway, local creeks, marshes and waterfowl. The post-race festival for the whole family will feature a complimentary live band, beer garden, cash prizes, awards ceremony and vendor exhibits.
Presented by the Isle of Palms Exchange Club, The City of Isle of Palms and the Town of Mount Pleasant.
Event details and schedule
Runner Instructions for an Enjoyable Race!
Before the Race:
- Packet Pickup will be Friday, October 1st, 2021 from 10:30am to 7pm at: IOP Exchange Club, 201 Palms Blvd, Isle of Palms, SC 29451
- The Isle of Palms Connector, Hwy 517 will close at 7 am Saturday morning. After 7 am, use the Ben Sawyer bridge and Sullivan’s Island.
- Parking is at the Isle of Palms City lot on Pavilion. Volunteers will direct you to parking.
- Overflow parking is at the Charleston County Park on Ocean Blvd.
- For the safety of the runners, no pets allowed on the course.
- Race starts at 8 AM for both the 10K and 5K on Palm Blvd.
- Strollers and walkers begin near the back of the group.
- Walkers allowed on 5K course only.
During the Race:
- Your race bib and number must always be visible from the front.
- Only registered runners are allowed on the course.
- Keep your race bib flat to ensure accurate timing.
- If you need medical assistance, notify the nearest volunteer in a grey t-shirt.
- Water will be provided along the course at the 5K and 10K turnarounds, as well as at the finish line after the race.
Post Race Party:
- Enjoy the post race festivities open to you and your guests. Live band, food, and beer for those 21 and older with ID.
- Activities for children.
- All awards based on chip time.
- Age Group Medals for 1st, and 2nd place in each category. Male and Female, in each age group for 5K, 10K and virtual runners.
- Cash awards for overall winners
- Complete your race any time beginning September 24 - October 3.
- Race finish times and pictures can be downloaded on ioprun.com beginning September 24- October 3.
- Virtual race results will be added to the IOPrun.com site along with the race day runners for first and second place medals.
- Times and 5k or 10k race options will be available during upload.
- Join us on Facebook @iopconnectorrun and hashtag #IOPrun to post all YOUR race photos
- All volunteers and participants are required to wear a mask at registration / packet pick-up, should the weather not permit outside set-up.
- Increased hand washing and sanitation stations at all events.
- Start wave social distancing encouraged. Start time begins once each runner individually crosses the start mat.
- All volunteers at water stations will be masked. Those uncomfortable with traditional water stations are encouraged to bring your own water bottle.