One of our original, and best, recipes for Sweet Rice Cakes from the Feed Zone Portables Cookbook.
You can plug any berry into this simple, sweet rice cake recipe. Likewise, if you don't love chocolate you can leave it out, and if mint isn't your thing you can add a small quantity of shredded toasted coconut instead of the herbs.
- 3 cups uncooked sushi rice
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1 pint blackberries, raspberries or blueberries
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
1. Combine the rice, water and a dash of salt in a rice cooker and let cook.
2. When the rice is finished cooking, transfer it to a large bowl and add sugar and lemon juice. Mix completely. The mixture should be slightly sweet with a little bite from the fresh-squeezed lemon juice.
3. Spread half of the rice mixture into a 9 by 12 inch baking pan, using a rice paddle or spatula to gently press the rice into the pan. Top with berries and sprinkle minced mint leaves evenly, followed by chocolate chips.
4. Finish by gently layering remaining rice over the top of the berries, mint and chocolate.
5. Let set up for a few minutes before cutting into squares and wrapping with Skratch Paper.
Republished with permission and photo courtesy of VeloPress from Feed Zone Portables Cookbook. For more recipes for athletic fuel from Skratch, check out our Feed Zone Cookbooks.
Find more healthy recipes