Follow these instructions to make your very own rice cakes; perfect to be used before, during or after you ride. One cake provides approximately 85 kcals, 203 mg of sodium 14 g of carbohydrates, 2 g fat, and 1.6 g of protein.
Time: 30 minutes
1. Combine 3 cups (approx 700 ml) of water and 2 cups (approx. 360-400 g) of uncooked sticky (sushi) rice and cook on the hob or in a rice cooker.
2. Mix in 2 tablespoons of soy sauce.
3. Flatten half the rice mixture and spread with 3 tablespoons of almond butter.
4. Roughly chop half a cup (90 g) of dates and spread over the almond butter.
5. Cover the mixture with the remaining rice and press down into shape.
6. Once pressed into shape, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and ? teaspoon of salt.
7. Divide into 16 portions.
Ideally made the day before your ride, keep these refrigerated and consume within four days.
This story originally appeared in "The Pain-Free Cyclist" by Matt Rabin and Robert Hicks. As a member of the ACTIVE community, order "The Pain-Free Cyclist" and get it delivered to your doorstep for FREE using the promotion code ACTIVEFS
Ready to Ride? Search for a cycling event.