There are many people who relish the thought of canceling a gym membership in favor of training at home. One common reason people don't follow through on that ambition is because it takes a lot of time to figure out what equipment they need, then research which version of that equipment best suits their specific needs.
The ACTIVE Reviews Team is here to save you a lot of time and energy, so you can focus on the actual workouts. We did the heavy lifting by finding the best products available that will help you create the most versatile and effective workout space possible. All you'll have to do is place the orders, organize the space you're training in, and get to working out.
Why Trust Us?
The ACTIVE Reviews Team is made up of fitness experts that include athletes, coaches, and certified trainers who bring years of knowledge and experience to each review. More importantly, each member of our team is a fitness enthusiast. Fitness may be our job, but it is also our passion. Therefore, we strive to bring you products that we trust and would personally use.
Best Home Workout Equipment - Our Top Picks
By clicking on the product links in this article, we may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader.
- Best Suspension Trainer: TRX Pro4 System
- Best Dumbbells: REP Rubber Coated Dumbbells
- Best Sandbags: TRX Power Bags
- Best Treadmill: Sole F63 Treadmill
- Best Elliptical: NordicTrack Commercial 14.9
- Best Home Workout Mirror: Tonal
- Best Rowing Machine: Hydrow Rower
- Best Stationary Bike: Sunny Health & Fitness Synergy Pro
- Best Fitness Tracker: Garmin Vivoactive 4
- Best Kettlebells: Onnit Kettlebells
- Best Resistance Bands: Stroops Resistance 90
- Best Squat Rack: Force USA MyRack Modular Power Rack
- Best Pull-Up Bar: Rogue P-5V Pull Up System
- Best Bench: ProSourceFit Flat Weight Bench
Best Suspension Trainer - TRX Pro4 System
Bodyweight training can be beneficial for beginners and advanced athletes alike, and the TRX Pro4 can be used by fitness enthusiasts of all experience levels. It's built and designed to withstand numerous high-volume suspension training workouts.
It's incredibly easy to set up and take back down; simply connect it to a sturdy door and you're ready to train. The handles allow the user to also connect their feet for lower-body or core workouts. Use this as part of a larger workout plan or do the entire session with this one product.
- The straps are made with industrial-grade reinforcement stitching
- A mesh carrying bag is included for storage or travel
- The TRX extender is included for taller users
- The foot cradles are adjustable
- An exercise guide is not included
Best Dumbbells - REP Rubber Coated Dumbbells
Dumbbells allow lifters to work on each side of the body individually, as well as offering full-body workout options. These dumbbells are hex-shaped, which means they will stay in place when they are set on the floor. The rubber ends help minimize noise and impact on the floor when they are dropped while the coated handles provide grip without the risk of rust.
The all-black weights and handles provide a unique look. Whether you want to start, finish, or go through an entire workout with dumbbells, these weights can help you push yourself to get stronger, bigger, or leaner.
- The dumbbells are sold as pairs
- The weights are listed on the top and sides
- The handles are shaped to feel more comfortable; the rubber coating provides grip without needing to be "warmed up"
- The heaviest weights available are 50 lbs.
- The warranty is only for 1 year
Best Sandbags - TRX Power Bags
Sandbags are a tremendous way to add weight to various bodyweight or cardiovascular movements. These bags are triple stitched to withstand the most intense workouts indoors or outside. The use of sandbags in your workout provides a unique form of resistance that will help improve stabilization and coordination.
There are handles on both the top and sides of the bags, making it easy to use them for carrying, lifting, or even tossing. Regardless of the goal you set for yourself, these bags would be a great asset.
- Weights are listed in both lb. and kg
- They are moisture resistant
- They are pre-filled with the listed weight
- The handles are made of polyurethane
- The top weight is only 40 lbs. (18.1 kg)
- The bags are only available in 10-lb. increments
Best Treadmill - Sole F63 Treadmill
Having a treadmill at home allows runners to keep on track with their programs on days that the weather isn't cooperating. This treadmill comes with 15 levels of incline, which can offer challenges for course runners or fitness enthusiasts who are looking to work their legs a little harder.
Beginners can benefit from using a treadmill, as well. The Sole F63 is easy to adjust mid-workout and folds for convenient storage. It also connects to Bluetooth so you can watch videos or listen to a podcast on your smart device.
- The speed can adjust from 0.5-12 mph
- The weight limit is 325 lbs.
- The deck can be folded for easier storage
- Has a USB port for charging your device
- The treadmill itself weighs 254 lbs.
Best Elliptical - NordicTrack Commercial 14.9
Ellipticals are a great cardio option for people because they have a low impact on the joints. They can also help you increase endurance as well as burn more calories than other choices.The 14-inch HD touchscreen on the NordicTrack Commercial 14.9 provides a clear picture for you to watch while you're working out. The elliptical comes with a free 30-day iFit trial membership, and the live and on-demand workouts are sure to keep your sessions interesting.
- You can adjust the stride length with the adjustable pedals and ramp
- The real-time trackers help you gauge your progress
- 10-year warranty on the frame, 2 years for parts, 1 year for labor
- Up to a 20% incline
- This machine is 69" tall and 67" long, so plenty of space will be needed
Best Home Workout Mirror – Tonal
This piece of equipment can provide the full-body challenge you've been looking for, all within the same space. The Tonal workout mirror mounts to the wall and takes you through a virtual workout experience. You can train every major muscle group with this mirror thanks to the various attachments such as the individual handles and bar attachment.
You can work with up to 200 pounds of resistance to help you improve strength and size. There are also various classes included with the membership so you can improve flexibility, aerobic capacity, and overall athleticism. You can even take part in dance and family fun sessions.
- The workout arms can be adjusted to help perform various exercises
- Workouts can be tracked to gauge your current progress
- A 3-year warranty is included with the purchase
- The required Tonal monthly membership is a bit pricey
Best Rowing Machine - Hydrow Rower
Rowing provides a cardiovascular challenge for the entire body and can be used for warming up, as part of a challenging workout, or it can be the workout on its own. This machine is made with an aluminum and steel frame that makes it very durable. The All-Access Membership gives you access to a library of thousands of workouts that range from beginner to advanced. It will pair with Bluetooth speakers or headphones so you can hear what you like without disturbing others.
- The machine has a smooth motion, which can make training a better experience
- The full HD display screen is 22"
- It can be synced with the Strava app so you can track your improvement
- The machine only fits people who have up to a 36" inseam
- The warranty is only for 1 year
Best Stationary Bike - Sunny Health & Fitness Synergy Pro
Stationary bikes offer the same benefit for cyclists as treadmills do for runners. This bike offers a similar experience to what you would get in a spinning class or if you were on a regular bike ride. The multi-grip handles allow you to place your hands where you like, and the adjustable seat helps provide maximum comfort while you're giving it your all.
The magnetic resistance system and patented flywheel design offer smooth pedaling while minimizing noise, so you can train while watching TV or without disturbing those around you.
- The seat adjusts 4 ways, which can help multiple users
- The emergency stop brake is an easy to turn the dial
- The pulse sensors help track your heart rate throughout the ride
- A quiet ride makes it great for those living in apartments
- The display screen is small
- The product manual has to be downloaded separately
Best Fitness Tracker - Garmin Vivoactive 4
Garmin has proven that you don't need to sacrifice looks in favor of function. The Garmin Vivoactive 4 fitness tracker looks great and works great, too. The display screen is bright and easy to use. The housing is made of stainless steel, so it's built to last through the toughest training for a long time to come.
Thanks to its ability to track hydration, calories, and numerous other aspects of wellness, it's like having a coach on standby all day. It only weighs 1.7 ounces, so it won't feel like a weight on your wrist. This could be the key to taking your training from good to great.
- It can track sleep data while you're resting
- The tracker can provide coaching tips to adjust a workout on the fly
- As a smartwatch, the battery life can last up to 8 days
- The GPS with music feature reduces the battery life to 6 hours
- It only comes in 1 color
Best Kettlebells - Onnit Kettlebells
Kettlebells are a very versatile free-weight tool that can help athletes improve strength, coordination, endurance, and stability. Unlike dumbbells, the weight is below the handle, which offers a unique dynamic when lifting it. The most popular exercises for kettlebells are swings, presses, squats, and pulls.
These kettlebells have a powder coat finish for better grip while you're using them. It also makes the kettlebells chip-resistant, so you can train hard with them, and they will hold up for years to come.
- Each weight is color-coded for easy identification
- Both kg and lbs. are listed on the side
- The handles are larger than most in this category and easier to hold
- The flat bottom allows them to be stored easily
- Sold individually instead of in pairs
Best Resistance Bands - Stroops Resistance 90
Resistance bands allow you to focus on each body part individually or train the entire body at once. They allow peak resistance when the muscle is contracted but the resistance decreases as the band becomes less stretched, making the workout more dynamic than with a fixed weight these straps can be connected to a door anchor or a strap, and the bar attachment allows you to train both sides at the same time with one object instead of dual handles. Train in the comfort of your own home or take them with you on a trip so you don't have to find a gym on the road.
- You can use each side individually or both simultaneously
- The bar is collapsible for easier storage
- An included guide shows how to perform exercises properly
- The heaviest band is only 30 lbs.
- They only come in two colors, orange and black
Best Squat Rack - Force USA MyRack Modular Power Rack
For lifters who want to add major barbell movements to their arsenal, a squat rack will be a game-changer. Even though they're called squat racks, you can perform many movements inside of one, including bench presses, overhead presses, bent-over rows, rack deadlifts, and more.
This one has numerous height positions available for the J-hooks and safety arms to be placed. You can start the movement from any position you like. Other attachments can be added along the way as you progress on your fitness journey.
- The weight capacity of this rack is 2,000 lbs.
- Comes with a lifetime structural warranty
- It is available in red, blue, and black
- The J-hooks and spotter arms must be purchased separately
Best Pull-Up Bar - Rogue P-5V Pull Up System
The pull-up may be the most challenging bodyweight exercise, but it also reaps numerous benefits; it targets the entire upper back, rear delts, and even the biceps. People who are strong on pull-ups are also likely strong on other movements such as rows and curls.
This pull-up bar will provide all the benefits you're looking for, but it won't take up as much space as a power tower. It can be customized to be connected to either the wall or the ceiling of your home gym. You can also connect bands to the middle of it so you can perform this exercise with assistance until your strength improves.
- The bar is 52" wide, so taller athletes can use it
- The bar and frame are made of 11-gauge steel
- The bar is 1" thick, which is easy to hold
- Vertical handles are not included
Best Bench - ProsourceFit Flat Weight Bench
A bench allows you to train your chest, abs, and back while lying on it. You can also sit on the end to train shoulders and arms. A bench won't take up much space, but it will provide a lot of benefits to your workout space.
This bench comes with a thick pad that will make you as comfortable as possible while exercising. The leather covering makes it water-resistant, so don't be afraid to sweat on it. The feet are covered with rubber so that it won't slide and it's light enough that it can be picked up and moved with little effort.
- The legs can be folded for easier storage
- The frame of the bench will support up to 660 lbs. (300 kg)
- The leather surface is easy to clean
- The bench doesn't adjust to an incline or decline position
FAQs About Home Gym Equipment
Are home workouts as effective as going to the gym?
Having the right equipment can help maximize the effectiveness of any workout—whether it be at home or the gym. Ultimately, it's your effort that will determine the true standard of the session.
How long should I work out a day?
Great workouts can be performed in an hour. That's counting time for warming up, the workout itself, and a few minutes to cool down before calling it a day.
Is it better to exercise in the morning or at night?
Many people prefer to train in the morning when they have the most energy. Others might choose to train after work at night to help them relieve the stress of the day before going to bed. The better choice is the one that will help you stick with a program consistently.
How long should a beginner work out at home?
Beginners should keep the workouts to around 45 minutes. The most important factors for beginners are learning how to use the equipment properly and gauging the effort they are putting in. When you feel overwhelmed or exhausted, it's time to end the session.
Should you eat before or after a workout?
Both. Having a meal that is high in protein, moderate in carbohydrates, and low to moderate in fats before a workout can help you feel energized. Eating afterward can help kickstart your recovery, which is the most important aspect. The better you recover, the more you will improve.