A player is from a split family and the parents share custody. A problem develops when the coach needs to deal with the parents who have differing opinions regarding the sport and the player's participation. The boy lives with one parent who doesn't care for the game, the other parent is a hockey fanatic who wants the boy to participate.
- What problems do you anticipate with this situation?
- How do you communicate with both parents, individually and collectively?
- What type of relationship does the coach develop with the player?
- Is special treatment appropriate?
- Will the player's abilities affect your answers to the above questions? (This question should not be revealed until the previous four are answered)