Just like other major sports, betting lines exist for the Tour de France. I am not suggesting that you become an online gambler, but if watching the Tour on TV gets a bit stale, here is one way to spice up the event. If you do chose to participate, please play responsibly.
There are a number of online sites that provide betting; oddschecker.com does a reasonable job of compiling most of the betting locales. Here are the odds for the overall win from two of those sites.
| Alberto Contador ||11/10|
|Carlos Sastre||20/1|| |
| Michael Rogers ||50/1|
|Luis Leon Sanchez||50/1|
|Christian Vande Velde||80/1|
| Alberto Contador || 17/20 |
|Frank Schleck||25/1|| |
|Christian Vande Velde||50/1|
|Luis Leon Sanchez||66/1|
|Oscar Pereiro Sio||80/1|
Top French Hopefuls (It Is the Tour de France)
|Christophe Moreau||200/1|| |
As the late, great Billy Mays would say, "But wait, there's more!" If just betting on the winner isn't enough to peak your interest, there are a number of other categories on which you can wager. Here is a sampling of a few of the more interesting ways to generate some additional curiosity.
- Pick all the top 10 finishers
- Pick the winner of the mountains classification
- Pick the winner of the points classification
- Pick the winner of the best young rider classification
- Pick the nation to win the most stage victories
- Total number of riders to complete the race
- Total number of riders to wear the yellow jersey
- Pick the number of stages wins by a particular rider
- Pick the winning time margin of the overall winner
- Pick the nation of winner
- Pick the team of the winning rider
So, what are your picks for this year's Tour de France?