Just like other major sports, betting lines exist for the Tour de France. I am not suggesting that you become an online gambler, but if watching the Tour on TV gets a bit stale, here is one way to spice up the event. If you do chose to participate, please play responsibly.
There are a number of online sites that provide betting; oddschecker.com does a reasonable job of compiling most of the betting locales. Here are the odds for the overall win from two of those sites.
| Alberto Contador ||11/10|
|Carlos Sastre||20/1|| |
| Michael Rogers ||50/1|
|Luis Leon Sanchez||50/1|
|Christian Vande Velde||80/1|
| Alberto Contador || 17/20 |
|Frank Schleck||25/1|| |
|Christian Vande Velde||50/1|
|Luis Leon Sanchez||66/1|
|Oscar Pereiro Sio||80/1|
Top French Hopefuls (It Is the Tour de France)
|Christophe Moreau||200/1|| |
As the late, great Billy Mays would say, "But wait, there's more!" If just betting on the winner isn't enough to pique your interest, there are a number of other categories on which you can wager. Here is a sampling of a few of the more interesting ways to generate some additional curiosity.
- Pick all the top 10 finishers
- Pick the winner of the mountains classification
- Pick the winner of the points classification
- Pick the winner of the best young rider classification
- Pick the nation to win the most stage victories
- Total number of riders to complete the race
- Total number of riders to wear the yellow jersey
- Pick the number of stages wins by a particular rider
- Pick the winning time margin of the overall winner
- Pick the nation of winner
- Pick the team of the winning rider
Do your picks match the oddmakers's? Which of the dark horses has the best chance of ascending the podium? Add your comments below.
Bruce Hildenbrand is a freelance journalist covering cycling and a host of other outdoor-related sports. He splits his time between Mountain View, California, Boulder, Colorado, and Europe.