INDIANAPOLIS, April 4, 2011 -- iHoops Skills Challenge, a free nationwide basketball skills competition open to boys and girls ages 8 to 18, announced today a partnership with the popular Hoop It Up 3on3 basketball tour, that will bring the iHoops experience to thousands of kids at more than 40 different stops throughout the U.S. this summer.
iHoops Skills Challenge will allow boys and girls to showcase dribbling, passing and shooting proficiency in a timed, half-court obstacle course. Kids will compete in three age groups: 8-10, 11-14 and 15-18. Participants can sign up on-site on the day of the competition, which will take place on Saturday at each stop, with the finals on Sunday. Winners at each stop will be designated as that city's iHoops Skills Challenge Champion, receive prizes, and be recognized on iHoops.com, which experienced its highest traffic ever in March.
"iHoops is excited to team with Hoop It Up, and give thousands of kids the opportunity to participate for free and showcase their skills in fun, healthy and competitive environments," said iHoops Director of Athlete and Coach Programs Neil Dougherty. "Understanding the fundamentals of the game at an early age provides the best chance for success on the court."
"iHoops Skills Challenge is a great addition to the Hoop It Up 3on3 basketball tour as it encourages young players to get in the game by developing their skills," said Hoop It Up Executive Vice President Dan Cramer. The Hoop It Up 3on3 tour is an energetic and family-friendly tournament designed to allow anyone who wants to play or watch to participate.
Below is the current 2011 iHoops Skills Challenge Tour schedule (subject to change):
- San Antonio– April 9-10 @ Nelson W. Wolff Stadium
- Tampa – April 9-10 @ All Peoples Life Center
- Phoenix – April 16-17 @ Salt River Fields at Talking Stick
- Dallas – April 30-May 1 @ Rangers Ballpark at Arlington
- Miami – May 7-8 @ Calder Casino and Race course
- St. Louis – May 7 @ Downtown Streets
- Virginia Beach, Va. – May 14-15 @ Virginia Beach Sportsplex
- Omaha, Neb. – May 14-15 @ Qwest Center
- Raleigh, N.C. – May 21-22 @ North South Station
- Houston – May 21-22 @ TBD
- Jacksonville, Fla. – May 21-22 @ Orange Park High School
- Harrisburg, Pa. – June 4 @ In the Net Sports Complex
- Atlanta – June 4-5 @ Northlake Mall
- Cincinnati – June 4-5 @ TBD
- Albuquerque – June 11-12 @ Civic Center Plaza
- Philadelphia – June 18-19 @ Campbell’s Field
- Milwaukee – June 18-19 @ Bryant Stratton College Wauwatosa Campus
- Cleveland – June 25-26 @ Euclid Square Mall
- Dallas -- June 25-26 @ Fair Park
- Louisville, Ky. – June 25-26 @ Fox 41 Studios
- Indianapolis – July 9-10 @ TBD
- Chicago – July 9-10 @ Soldier Field
- Bismarck, N.D. – July 9-10 @ TBD
- Columbus, Ohio – July 16-17 @ Fort Rapids Indoor Water Park Resort
- Detroit – July 16-17 @ Pontiac Silverdome
- Boston – July 16-17 @ TBD
- Albany, N.Y. – July 23-24 @ TBD
- Baltimore – July 23-24 @ TBD
- San Jose – July 23-24 @ TBD
- Nashville – July 30-31 @ LP Field
- Denver – July 30-31 @ Invesco Field
- Newark, N.J. – July 30-31 @ TBD
- Hartford, Conn. – August 6-7 @ Rentschler Field
- Memphis – August 6-7 @ TBD
- Pittsburgh – August 6-7 @ TBD
- Dallas – August 13-14 @ Dallas Convention Center
- New York City – August 13-14 @ TBD
- Miami – August 20-21 @ Calder Casino and Race course
- Sarasota, Fla. – September 3-4 @ Venice Community Center
- Sacramento – September 17-18 @ Downtown Streets
Jointly established by the NCAA and NBA in 2009, iHoops is committed to providing a structure and creating programs to improve the quality of youth basketball in the United States to enhance the athletic, educational and social experience for the sport’s millions of participants. iHoops offers several participation programs for players ages 6-18, parents, coaches, officials, youth teams and event organizers. Founding partners include Nike, adidas, and Right Guard. Additionally, as part of iHoops’ goal to unify the game’s stakeholders, new partnerships were formed with USA Basketball, the Amateur Athletic Union and the National Federation of State High School Associations, among others, to further support educational and basketball programming efforts. For more information visit www.iHoops.com.
About Hoop It Up
Hoop It Up tournaments are played in 42 markets across the country and include male and female half-court 3on3basketball competitions for all ages along with a wide variety of related activities and entertainment. Hoop It Up's parent company, Lagardère Unlimited, is a global sports agency specializing in talent representation, event production and management, television and new media production, sales of broadcast rights, content development, and corporate marketing consultation. Registration for Hoop It Up is available at HoopItUp.com.
Contact: David Cooper, MVP PR/iHoops (917) 716-8566 or email@example.com