Tuesdays @ 8:00 pm • September 19th - December 12th
(no class November 21st)
This course is an exploration of big band music. In class you will listen to and play along with some of the great bands from years ago in addition to our current time. The class will study the recordings and written music of bands such as Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Woody Herman, Buddy Rich, Perez Prado, Tito Puente, Thad Jones, Mel Lewis, and many others.
The class will meet online through Zoom. Ideally, but not required, each student should have a computer interface such as a Focusrite Scarlett Solo, a microphone and headphones. Using an interface, microphone and quality headphones will give the student the feeling of being “in the mix” of the studio recording, really hear the band and feel as if one is actually playing in the band. The instructor will supply PDF’s of sheet music for study and practice.
The benefits of this type of study are:
- Enjoying the styles of swing, jazz rock or Latin.
- Developing swing, rock and Latin timing and phrasing.
- Developing good intonation.
- Developing a personal sound concept by absorbing the wonderful tone of the masters.
- Improving one’s music sight reading.
- Joyfully developing a deep appreciation for the genre.
- Staying informed of current performances by local professional big bands. (Concert attendance is highly recommended.)