Desserts are often the first treats that get dropped from your diet when you're watching your weight, but you don't have to wallow in self-deprivation if you consume the right sweets in moderation. These low-calorie dessert recipes provide the comfort and sweetness you expect from a post-meal treat, and so long as you keep your portion size in check, you're golden.
Pumpkin Bread Pudding with Cinnamon Maple Yogurt Topping Recipe
Recipe by Katie Jeffrey
Under 300 calories per serving, this bread pudding makes a wonderful brunch or light dessert when fresh cranberries are in season. It fills the house with a delicious, warm aroma when baking, and reminds me of crisp days, beautiful foliage, and hearty meals with family and friends.
- 12 slices whole-wheat bread, cut into cubes (12 cups)
- 1 cup sweetened dried or fresh cranberries, chopped or raisins
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin puree
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt