Whether you race to work in the morning or hit the road for a morning workout, breakfast is often skipped because of time constraints. However, breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day and should not be skipped. It fuels your energy for the rest of the day. Pro triathlete Jenny Fletcher says, "I love smoothies. They give me the fuel I need to recover and perform my best very quickly."
It's important for endurance athletes, like Fletcher, to get the nutrients they need to perform their best.
Nutrition Events Near You
However, Marni Sumbal, registered dietitian and tri coach, says, "You don't have to be an elite to eat healthy. Think of food as a prescription to a healthy life. This smoothie contains nutrients to fuel you for your day."
Sumbal shares this smoothie that's quick and easy to make for breakfast that will get you through your day.
- Non-fat plain yogurt - 1 cup
- Skim milk - 1 cup
- Ice cubes - 6 to 7 cubes
- Water, as needed to help with mixing - 1 cup (add slowly)
- Celery Stick - 1 stalk
- Spinach - small handful
- Strawberries - 4 large
- Other fruit: Bananas, mango, apples, pineapples, oranges, berries (If you used berries add ?)
- Baby Carrots - 4
- Flax Seeds, Grounded - 1 Tbsp
- In a coffee grinder ground your flax seeds.
- Mix the ingredients in a blender; add water slowly as you blend. For a thicker smoothie add less, thinner add more.
- Blend together until it's blended well and voila, breakfast in a smoothie.
Perfect your nutrition and boost performance. Sign up for your next race.