Join us on Saturday, April 27, 2024 for our Fifth Annual “Run with a Longhorn 5K” race to raise money for the Kell Band Program. The cost of running and maintaining an award winning band program is high and the school system covers very little. Band families cover 90% of this cost through dues and fundraisers, while the county contributes less than 10% of our total budget. The Kell Band Program would like to offset the cost of these expenses to individual students by offering you the opportunity to support an organization that has and will continue to offer an environment of academic integrity, leadership training, community service, and profound musical excellence.
Why Band Is Important
- High School Band is more than just students playing instruments. It is an opportunity for them to be part of an organization committed to showcasing incredible musical talent while serving as representatives of Kell High School and the Kell Community.
- Band teaches students valuable life long personal skills like self-discipline, accountability and time-management in a way that almost no other organization in high school can.
- This program is not only dedicated to helping students become great musicians but also focuses on Academic Achievement, Student Character, Responsibility and Leadership.
So please come out and run with us, or a longhorn, and support a winning team. It will be great way to start your day out healthy.
Event details and schedule
- 6:00 AM – Kell HS Parking Lot Opens
- 6:30 AM – Packet Pickup/On-site Registration Opens
- 7:00 AM - Vendors Setup
- 8:00 AM – Run with a Longhorn 5K Race Starts
- 8:45 to 9:00 AM – Run with a Longhorn 5K Award Ceremony
- 10:00 AM – Course Closes
- 12:00 PM - Vendors Start Teardown Process
- 1:00 PM - Parking Lot Closes for Event
- Kell High School will serve as the Start and Finish of this race. You will start out in the parking lot and head East along the marked course to Jamerson Road. The course will follow Jamerson Road to the North and downhill (YAY!!), and then back uphill to the 2nd entrance into Jamerson Forest Subdivision. You will then run through the scenic neighborhood along the marked path and end up making it back to Jamerson Road. You will then make the journey back up the hill to the 1st school entrance and then turn left heading back into the school grounds. You will run past the Stockyard and make your way around the back of the school and past the track. One more short hill to climb, a short loop to the left and back, and then you will end up where you started to the finish line. Food, vendors and activities will be waiting for you after the race so enjoy.
- Please arrive early enough to get a good parking spot close to the start line and don’t worry, there are plenty of spaces to park. Also allow enough time to get your packet, register if needed and drop off any bags at our convenient drop off location.
Waivers & ID
- If you did not electronically sign your waiver, please bring your waiver filled out and signed, along with your ID, to pick-up race packets. We will have waivers on-site if needed. Kids 5 and under are free but will need waiver signed by adult.
What will Participants Receive
- Participants will receive the race t-shirt, with logo designed by a Kell HS student, goodie bag, fruit at the end of the race and a water station during the race. There will be awards for first place Overall Male/Female and 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in several age categories. Kids 5 and under will not receive a shirt or medal.
What to Wear
- Dress in weather-appropriate, comfortable workout clothes and comfortable shoes.
- If it’s going to be a warm Spring day, go with a pair of gym shorts and a T-shirt. Your shorts should be semi-loose and allow you easy movement. You will see a little of everything on the race course so wear what works for you!
Day of Registration
- Registration fee will be $40.