As with any sport, yoga can be intimidating to the beginner—especially considering poses like Royal Dancer and Crane.
Fortunately, your core strength, flexibility and mindset are all skills that can be developed over time. For those of you new to the yoga arena, there are a few key pieces of equipment that may help you feel more at ease as you get started.
There is no need to go overboard and spend $200 for something that may or may not work for you.
Yoga MatAn essential for any yogi. With all of the exercises you'll be doing on the floor, a good mat will keep you comfortable and safe.
- Try Gaiam's Yoga Mat at REI.com
Yoga BlockThis is a great tool for beginners. Blocks help you get into poses and maintain appropriate posture when you can't quite reach the floor.
- Try the HuggerMugger Foam Block at Huggermugger.com
Yoga BeltBelts are another great tool for beginners which help get you into positions when you're still developing your flexibility.
- Try the GOGO 8ft Yoga Buckle Strap at Amazon.com
Yoga TowelYoga towels can be great especially if you're looking to try Bikram yoga. Not only do they help eliminate bacteria from your sweat, but they are often used as support in certain poses.
- Check out the Aurorae Yoga Towel at Amazon.com
- Or, get them all in one with The FIRM Beginner's Yoga Kit (includes mat, block, belt and dvd) at Walmart.com
ClothingYour attire during yoga can make the difference between comfort and discomfort, full range of motion and poor range of motion. Stores like Old Navy, Target and Walmart all offer a number of pieces at affordable prices to meet your needs. Try these to start:
- Capris: Danskin's Now Dri-More Capri Pant at Walmart.com
- Pants: Champion's C9 Zen Yoga Pant at Target.com
- Tanks: Champion's Double Dry Racerback Workout Tank at Champion.com
- Pullover: Old Navy's Women's Lightweight Pullover Hoodie
Develop flexibility and balance in a yoga class.
With a master's degree in Applied Nutritional Science and experience as a CPT, Honolulu Budget Fitness Examiner Christina Carran has learned the tricks and tools to keep you, and your wallet healthy.
Examiner.com is the inside source for everything local. Powered by Examiners, the largest pool of knowledgeable and passionate contributors in the world, we provide unique and original content to enhance life in your local city wherever that may be.