Planks are great, especially when performed to a Taylor Swift tune. But, you can't create a strong, firm core from planks alone—you need a toolbox of exercises to pull from.
One move to try is the V Prayer Reach from the team at The Barre Code fitness studios. The gentle move targets your ab muscles, specifically your rectus abdominis and transverse abdominis explains co-founders Ariana Chernin and Jillian Lorenz. And, like the plank, the exercise doesn't require any equipment or much space, so you can try it anywhere, anytime.
Here's how to do it:
- Start lying on your back, and raise your legs straight into the air.
- Separate feet about 1 to 2 feet apart, creating a "V" shape with your legs.
- Keep your toes pointed.
- Place your hands in prayer position at the center of your chest.
- As you exhale, lift your head, shoulders and upper back off the floor.
- Straighten your arms, sending your hands between your legs. Be sure to keep your chin away from your chest and the shoulders away from the ears.
- Slowly lower, and do 3 sets of 15 reps.
Image Credit: The Barre Code
Stay in shape in a fitness class.