You've decided to start exercising and that's great. Unfortunately, more than half of all people who begin an exercise program quit within the first six months. It's not easy to develop a successful regimen that you will stick with for the rest of your life.
However, there are steps you can take to boost your enthusiasm and to facilitate long-term program adherence. Specifically, these 15 tips will help you stick with an exercise program for years to come:
1. Set Realistic Goals
Make sure you have reasonable expectations regarding your exercise program. For example, if you have never exercised before, it's unrealistic to think you'll go to the gym five days a week.
2. Write Your Goals and Post Them in a Visible AreaThis provides you with a constant reminder of why you are exercising.
3. Share Your Goals With OthersThis allows your friends and family members to encourage you. They may also be able to point out unreasonable goals that can negatively affect your program.
4. Consistently Monitor Your ProgressSlow but steady improvement is a tremendous motivator.
5. Choose a Convenient Time and Place for Your Workouts
You are much more likely to stick with your exercise program if it's convenient for you.
6. Start Easy and Slowly Build Your EffortSimply stated, don't overdo it.
7. Keep Your Exercise Sessions BriefThirty minutes is enough in most instances and if you're a newbie, 10 to 15 minutes per session is a fine place to start.
8. Choose a Variety of Exercises and Activities
To avoid boredom, which is a common reason for quitting an exercise program, choose various fitness programs or activities that make working out fun.