Join us for our 11th incredible trip up and down the future route of the Firefly Rail Trail on Saturday, March 26, 2022. This year we are again featuring 3 starting locations with registration beginning at 8 AM and no mass start. Riders are free to ride following registration. All proceeds benefit the work of Firefly Trail Inc. to promote the completion of the 39-mile multipurpose trail from Union Point to Athens.
Choose to start from:
- Jittery Joe's Roaster, 425 Barber Street in Athens
- Winterville Depot, corner of S Main & Parkview, Winterville
- Union Theatre, 101 Fluker St, Union Point
The full out-and-back course from Athens or Union Point is 83 miles, with on-route support and fully-stocked SAG stops (including restrooms) every 9-13 miles in Athens, Winterville, Crawford, Maxeys, and Union Point. This on-road ride features the lowest-traffic paved roads we could find close to the historic corridor of the Georgia Railroad Athens Branch. Riders who enjoy flatter terrain will especially enjoy the route from Union Point to Maxeys or from Winterville to Crawford. Options as short as 16 miles are available, making this a perfect ride for cyclists of all interests and abilities.
- Online registration is $40 through Midnight on Thursday, March 24
- Students pay $30
- Day-of registration is $45
- Teams of 5 to 12 members are welcome to register for $35 each before the day of the ride.
* online registration closes at midnight, Thursday, March 24, but you can register in-person at Georgia Cycle Sport, 1029 Baxter St., Athens, on Friday, March 25th from 3-6, where y ou may also pick up your rider bag if you are pre-registered.
All participants will receive a NEW Firefly Trail custom beanie (guaranteed to those who register before March 5th; while supplies last thereafter), ride support, a great swag bag from our sponsors, and one free pour of beer at end of ride events in Athens or Union Point. (Choose either Athens or Union Point as your starting point for your free pour. Must be 21 or over with ID and rider wristband to receive free pour. Additional beer available for sale.)
End of ride events will be held again this year in Athens and Union Points with details to be announced.
Everyone who registers before March 5 and decides not to ride will still receive a Firefly beanie (while supplies last) and a rider goodie bag. From Monday, March 28, until Friday, April 8, bags will be available at Georgia Cycle Sport, 1029 Baxter St., Athens.
Volunteers make this event possible, and all volunteers will receive a complimentary Firefly beanie as a token of appreciation for their time and assistance! Ask your friends and family to assist with the event while you're riding. Many time slots and locations are available. Online sign-up link coming soon or email firstname.lastname@example.org
As of late December 2021: We cannot foresee what conditions will be like in March but think that the need for COVID safety measures will still be in place. We will distribute individually wrapped items and bottled sports drinks and water at SAG stops, and will base our mask policy on ACC & CDC recomendations at that time. We pledge to have the safest event possible.
Following are from our COVID-19 Rules and Requirements from our October, 2021 ride and will be updated as we get closer to March, 2022.
PLEASE READ IT CAREFULLY! PRE-REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED: If you cannot attend the event for any reason, we will issue you a credit or provide a refund of the entry fee portion of the event. Please notify us within 24 hours after the event start time. We reserve the right to reschedule and restructure the ride to a virtual edition if COVID-19 does not allow for in-person gatherings.
The following rules and requirements are from our October, 2021 ride and will be updated as necessary for the March, 2022 ride. They are for the safety of all riders, staff, volunteers, and their families. While these measures are intended to minimize the risk of exposure to COVID-19, that risk cannot be completely eliminated.
• Event check-in will be a one-way, walk-through lane with social distancing to maintain separation of participants. Masks must be worn.
• Do not come to the event as a rider or volunteer if you are sick or don’t feel well – we WILL refund your entry fee. Please notify us within 24 hours after the ride to request a refund. Anyone who has tested positive for COVID-19 within 14 days of the event, or who has been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 within 14 days of the event, is showing symptoms, or is a higher-risk population is asked to not attend this year.
• If you feel any symptoms of COVID-19 please stay home. If you don’t feel well, you can get tested at one of your local testing centers.
• We reserve the right to ask anyone displaying active symptoms of COVID-19 infection to go home and will issue a refund.
• Face masks should be worn at all times when not riding. This includes while in close proximity to others while in the parking lot, during sign-in, at rest stops, and after your ride except when eating or drinking.
• To enhance rider safety and reduce the risk of COVID transmission, we will not have mass starts. After registering/signing in, riders may start riding anytime between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m.
• You must maintain a distance of at least 6 feet from others at all times (even with your mask on) except during the ride. Keeping a distance of 15 yards between riders, unless riding in a trusted group, is recommended.
• No physical contact with others not in your family. That means no hugs, handshakes, fist bumps, or high fives.
• Do not share water bottles, food, or other equipment.
• We will have hand sanitizers on site and encourage everyone to bring their own as well.
• Restrooms will be disinfected on a regular schedule. Social distancing of no less than 6 feet applies to those in line for the restrooms.
• Under no circumstances should any rider discharge any mucus/phlegm while riding. If you need to clear your sinuses, please safely move off course, and away from others.
• SAG drivers must wear a mask anytime they are assisting a rider. Riders using SAG vehicles must wear a mask at all times while in the SAG vehicle.
• SAG vehicle windows should be open when the vehicle is occupied by riders unless inclement weather makes it dangerous to do so.
• Volunteers are required to wear a mask the entire time they are assisting riders. At SAG stops, food will be in individual packaging and drinks will be in bottles.
• At our post-ride festivals, please observe 6 feet or more of social distancing from people who are not in your household and continue to wear a mask at all times except when eating or drinking.
Event details and schedule
Ride Start Info, Important notes & Ride with GPS Route Links from 2020:
Because there will not be mass start, please click here to review the Notes to Riders.
All starting locations, Athens, Union Point & Winterville:
- 8 AM: As soon as registered, riders may begin when ready. There will not be a mass start.
- SAG stops will open at 8:30AM in Winterville, 9AM in Athens and Union Point, and 9:30AM in Maxeys and Crawford
- All participants must wear a helmet and sign a waiver. A parent or guardian is required to sign for any minor under the age of 18.
- Be aware that this is an on-road ride and that you will be sharing the road with motor vehicle traffic. If you or a member of your family is not comfortable riding on the road, we recommend you choose the unsupported, off-road Greenway/Firefly Trail option in Athens.
- SAG drivers will patrol the course from 9 AM to 4:30 PM. Cue sheets will include a number to call for assistance. Be aware that south of Crawford, cell service is spotty. NOTE: SAG vehicles cannot patrol portions of the ride that are on the trail.
- SAG vehicles are for exhausted riders and riders with mechanical problems. If you wish to do a one-way ride, please make arrangements in advance with family or friends.
- SAG stops will close at 4 PM or after the last rider comes through, whichever comes first.
- The course will close and on-road support will end at 4:30 p.m. We cannot guarantee SAG support after this time.
- On the road, ride safely and defensively, but please be courteous to drivers trying to pass.
- If in a group, use good group etiquette, including pointing out hazards to other riders.
- We recommend not calling “Clear” to other riders at intersections as conditions can change quickly.
- We’re counting on you to obey the law. It’s your responsibility. It also helps us demonstrate to people who are skeptical about the trail that bicyclists are an asset to the communities the trail will serve.
The 2022 GPS Routes are below:
Athens Routes: Click here to download cue sheet (double sided)
Athens - Union Point: 87.1 miles round trip
Athens - Winterville: 19.5 miles round trip
Athens - Crawford: 42.4 miles round trip
Athens - Maxeys: 61.9 miles round trip
Union Point Routes: Click here to download cue sheet (double sided)
Union Point - Athens: 87.1 miles
Union Point - Maxeys: 25.3 miles round trip
Union Point - Crawford: 44.7 miles round trip
Union Point - Winterville: 67.6 miles round trip
Winterville Routes: Click here to download cue sheet
Winterville - Union Point: 67.6 miles round trip
Winterville - Crawford: 22.8 miles round trip
Winterville - Maxeys: 42.3 miles round trip