Submitted by Scott Hayden
- 3 Oranges
- 1 Corn Muffin Mix
This is relatively easy.
- I get one of the cheap Jiffy Brand corn bread muffin mixes--it makes six muffins.
- Get three oranges, cut them in half.
- Hollow out the peels, saving the fruit for juice, fruit salad, or snack.
- Mix the corn bread batter as directed.
- Pour the batter equally into the orange halves.
- Place the orange halves into an aluminum foil roasting pan.
- You can cook them a number of ways. If you are in an RV, simply cook them in the oven as directed. If you have a stove or a fire, you need to place the pan to the side of the heat. A camp BBQ or a stove with wind guards work best.
- Cover the top of the BBQ or stove with foil to create an indirect-heat convection-type oven. You may have to turn the pan, as the side closest to the heat will cook fastest.
- Cook until you can poke a toothpick into the batter and it comes out clean. The corn bread will absorb a slight hint of orange flavor. If you cook over a BBQ, it will absorb the smoke flavor also, so make sure you either use charcoal or good wood and not something like pine.