The 4th annual Kile G. West 5K Memorial is a unique 5K walk, jog, run is in beautiful East Texas and is open to the public. The Race is held in memory of First Lieutenant Kile G. West, an SFA Alumnus and SFA Army ROTC commissionee who was Killed in Action on Memorial Day, May 28, 2007, in Iraq. All Proceeds from the event will go to the Military Excellence Fund, a scholarship founded in 1LT West's memory. Follow us on Facebook (@ https://www.facebook.com/SFASUROTC/) for updates and more information!
Event details and schedule
1LT Kile G. West 5K Memorial Race participants!
Please see below for important race-day information.
Race Day Information --
*** SAFETY *** For everyone's continued safety, we ask that all participants and observers wear masks while at the SFA Intramural Fields and the check-in areas before and after the race, and in areas where groups of people are congregated.
TIME: Registration starts at 0730 and closes at 0815, and the race begins at 0830.
LOCATION: SFA Intramural Field (SFA Intramural Fields, E Starr Ave, Nacogdoches, TX 75964)
ROUTE: Through and around the beautiful SFA Campus (https://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/4290355834). The route will take you on paved roads, sidewalks, and through an unpaved hiking trail. The hiking trail is accessible to leisure bicycles and jogging strollers, but may present difficulties for strollers intended only for paved surfaces.
- Registration and packet pick-up will be by the access path to the SFA Intramural Field (SFA Intramural Fields, E Starr Ave, Nacogdoches, TX 75964) -- Look for our tent and tables on the Intramural Fields, near the entrance to the parking lot. To pick up your packet, you will either need an ID, or the race registration email on your phone.
- Registration and packet pick-up opens at 0730. Opening remarks will be delivered at 0815 by Department of Military Science Department Chair James Attaway, and the race will begin at 0830. There will be one mass-start for all participants; we encourage our fun-runners and walkers to allow the competitive runners to move to the front of the starting line.
- The race route will run around and through the SFA campus, and will be marked and manned with volunteers. The route is on paved surfaces, although transitions across unimproved paths.
- Free parking is available in the parking lot directly across from the Intramural Fields (SFA Intramural Fields, E Starr Ave, Nacogdoches, TX 75964). Additional parking is available in the parking garage, which is also free during the weekend.
- Secure your valuables in your vehicle, or at home. We will not have the ability to secure valuables or check bags at the start point; because parking is a very short walk from the start point, we encourage all participants to leave high value times at home, and store their personal effects in their vehicles, or leave them with family or trusted friends.
- Restroom facilities are available by the intramural field.
- Currently, the weather is forecast for 70* and clear skies. However, we do not intend to cancel this race due to inclement weather unless the conditions presents hazardous situations. Any changes to weather conditions will be emailed and posted on the SFASU Army ROTC Facebook page, found here: https://www.facebook.com/SFASUROTC/
- Awards will be presented to the top 2 male finishers, and top 2 female finishers, and top 2 U-18 finishers. There will be a short awards ceremony at approximately 1015; awards will be presented by Department of Military Science Department Chair James Attaway and the West family once the race results have been finalized. You must pick up your award at the event; they will not be mailed post-race.
- Photos & Results: Action photos will be posted on the SFASU Army ROTC Facebook Event Page by Monday after the event. It takes some time to tag all of the photos, so please be patient. A link to the results will be posted the night of the event on the event page, found here: https://www.facebook.com/SFASUROTC/. As this is a memorial fun-run, results will be tracked through photo-finishes; there will be no chipped timing system in effect during this race.
We look forward to seeing you all tomorrow! Don't hesitate to send any additional questions or requests for information to the race coordinator at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Schedule of Events
- 7:30am - 8:00am Same Day Packet Pick-Up
- 8:15am Opening Ceremonies (Welcome, National Anthem, Guest Speaker remarks)
- 8:30am 5K Start
- 9:30am Awards & Closing Ceremonies
Age group breakdown will be as follows for male & female: 1st Place and 2nd Place for 18 & Under, 1st Place and 2nd Place for top 18+ Male Finishers, and 1st Place and 2nd Place for top 18+ Female Finishers
The 5K course will start and end on the beautiful and scenic Stephen F. Austin State University campus. The route will be on primarily flat, paved road surfaces, through and around the campus.
Free parking is available throughout the campus.
- Restrooms on site
- Please bring a photo ID or a copy of your confirmation email (both electronic i.e. screenshot or paper are acceptable) to verify packet pick-up
- Wear comfortable, athletic clothing and footwear
- Early packet pick-up will be announced via email