We're sorry, but this activity is over. The last meeting was Saturday, February 17, 2024.
This event is an outdoor, introductory overnight tent camping program led by the Mesa Park Rangers. Your group registration fee includes the use of one reserved tent that sleeps up to six people, although you are welcome to bring your own. This also covers drinks, a light campfire dinner with a dessert, and breakfast the next morning.
Participants will have the opportunity to try campfire building, propane lanterns, cooking over the fire, tent set-up and takedown, and other basic outdoor skills. We also offer a scorpion night hike at sundown to all willing participants.
Participants will show up between 5PM and 6PM on Friday night. After check in is campsite selection and learning how to set up the tents on the fenced-in soccer fields. We will build a campfire together, go on a scorpion night hike, cook a light supper around the fire, and share fellowship and games under the stars. The Rangers will cook breakfast on Saturday morning and help to take down camp sites. Families can expect to leave the site before 9AM on Sunday.
At least one adult is required to attend per group. Families bringing children ages 5-12 are recommended so we can develop practical skills and introduce a new generation to the fun of tent camping.
The Park Rangers will provide the following: one water-resistant tent per group, coolers of drinks, evening food, dishes, cookware, cleaning supplies, and breakfast.
We recommend you bring the following for each person attending: sleeping bag or sheet and multiple warm blankets, ground pad or cot or air mattress, pillow, cozy sleepwear, a toothbrush, flashlight, jacket and hat, water bottle, a mug for hot beverages, and a folding chair.
The Spring events will likely be hot in the afternoon but are expected to cool rapidly at night. The Fall events will bring cold weather. Please still bring jackets, and extra blankets or warm sleeping bags to be prepared.
For questions about this program, please contact the Park rangers at ParkRangers@mesaaz.gov with subject: CAMPOUT or call 480-644-4145 to leave a message and we will get back to you ASAP.
- The lighted soccer complex restrooms are available for use during the event.
- If you are unfamiliar with tent camping, bring more padding to sleep on than you expect. Grassy soccer fields are much harder than a mattress and get cold at night. A yoga or exercise mat is not enough for most people.
- Temperatures typically range from 85 degrees F during the day to 45 degrees F at night. Light blankets or jackets may not be enough to stay warm.
- If a second adult needs to arrive later than the check-in time special arrangements can be made by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please leave at home any speakers or bright electronic screens, alcohol, or anything you cannot carry or easily wheel across the flat soccer fields.
- Smoking is permitted only in the complex parking lot.
- For security reasons, the complex will be locked at night and require Park Rangers to open the gates after arrival and prior to the end of the event.
Activity Secondary Category
Red Mountain Soccer Complex - 905 N. Sunvalley Blvd, Mesa, AZ 85207