Finishing a run means a hot, sweaty, thirsty, hungry body in need of a shower and a replenishing meal. Getting nourishment in right away is very important in the immediate moments following your run. Carbohydrates and protein taken in post workout are better processed and utilized by your body.
While most know eating as soon as possible after you finish is advised, it often fails to actually happen. You're hot, tired and all you want to do is kick off your shoes and lie on the floor. Getting into the kitchen to prepare and cook a meal can seem like a daunting effort.
It is also likely that your stomach is feeling pretty jostled and your appetite is low. For these reasons, opting for liquid recovery is ideal; you can prepare it in minutes, cool the body, sip as you stretch and get a concentrated amount of nutrients quite easily.
When making a recovery drink, make sure you have a source of carbohydrates, protein and add in extra nutrients as you can, such as fiber, omegas, antioxidants, electrolytes, and more. It is also important to note that short, easy efforts may not require an indulgent milkshake-style recovery drink, so you should tailor your beverage's nutrition and the portion to what your body needs. Try one of the following examples after your next run.
• Snicker-ish: Blend together ice, almond milk, chocolate whey, dates and a banana.
• Oatmeal Cookie: Blend together oat milk, cinnamon, almond butter, maple syrup, and vanilla protein powder.
• Powerhouse: Blend kiwi, zucchini, almond milk, vanilla protein, dates, pumpkin seeds, coconut meat, avocado and cacao powder.
• Pumpkin Spiced: Blend roasted or canned pumpkin, maca, coconut milk, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla protein, cinnamon, cardamom and nutmeg.
• Energizer: Blend espresso, milk, ice, honey, collagen, cordyceps and cayenne.
• Lean Green: Blend spinach, almond milk, moringa, pea protein and banana.
• Daily Harvest Chocolate Blueberry: a great option if you don’t feel like creating your own smoothie blend—just add milk and protein then blend.
• Lifeway Kefir Minis: Keep it simple with this gut friendly blend of berries of protein rich kefir. Great for after short workouts or when you plan to have a full meal soon.
READ THIS NEXT: Best Ways to Refuel After a Hard Run