Southwestern cuisine is a fusion of ingredients from Native American, Mexican and Spanish cultures. Similar to Mexican fare, it's known for its spices—specifically chili pepper—and use of beans in dishes.
This recipe includes both, plus plenty of quinoa, which contains all nine of the essential amino acids.
Southwestern Quinoa Cakes can be served as an appetizer or entr?e.
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, cooked according to package directions and cooled
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 3 teaspoons olive or grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms (any mix or type is fine)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoon scallions (white and green parts), chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon corn meal