Now that the temperature has dropped, it is important to maintain "agni", our digestive fire, in order to keep us energized, warm and free from colds and flu. One of the most amazing herbs for stimulating agni is cayenne pepper.
Cayenne has amazing health benefits. It stimulates and repairs digestive tissues, increases circulation, decreases the risk of heart disease and even stimulates the release of fat tissue, aiding in weight loss.
Cayenne has been studied for its effectiveness in reversing heart disease, reducing headaches, helping to treat skin conditions like psoriasis and more.
This winter, load up on cayenne pepper by adding it to everything from water (with one full squeezed lemon and ginger) to soups.
This Cayenne Chocolate Chai Latte recipe only takes a couple of minutes to make and is absolutely delicious (it's also vegan and gluten-free). It contains three other excellent spices:
- Cinnamon - to help lower blood sugar levels
- Ginger – a warming digestive aid to help decrease nausea
- Nutmeg – to help increase the absorptive power of the small intestine and colon
Here's how to make it:
Cayenne Chocolate Chai Latte
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon raw cacao powder
- boiling water
1. Add spices and almond milk to a giant mug (approximately 1.5 cup). Heat the mixture in a microwave for one minute (non-microwave instructions below).
2. When the mixture is heated, stir it. Add raw cacao powder and continued to stir until the spices began to dissolve, turning the milk brown.
3. Add honey and continued stirring. Top the mug off with some boiling water.
If you are opposed to using a microwave or want to make a larger portion, this recipe can be made by mixing everything together (except the honey) and heating it in a saucepan over the stove on low heat. Add the honey last. This method will take longer than two minutes.
The tea will taste creamy, slightly sweet, spicy and chocolately. It's the perfect stimulating, warming beverage for a crisp, winter day.
Eat right and perform better. Find a nutrition plan for you.