20-Minute Tabata Core Workout
When it comes to the human body, the core is arguably the most important group of muscles.
The following exercises can be done alone or at the end of a long workout. Either way, it takes just 20 minutes to strengthen and develop the essential foundation of your body.
Note: The following exercises should be done as a Tabata workout. Perform each exercise for a total of four minutes, alternating between 20 seconds of high intensity and 10 seconds of rest. Still confused? Learn more about the Tabata trend here.
Want more Tabata workouts? Check out the ACTIVEx Tabata Workout app
1. Scissor KicksAlternate 20 seconds of high intensity and 10 seconds of rest; 4 minutes total 1 of 8
1. Lie on your back with your hands underneath your butt.
2. Keeping your legs straight, lift your feet approximately six inches off the floor.
3. Kick your legs out to the sides and return them back to the center. Continue this pattern.
4. Focus on keeping your legs straight throughout the movement.
2. Plank Step-UpsAlternate 20 seconds of high intensity and 10 seconds of rest; 4 minutes total 2 of 8
1. Begin in a forearm plank position with your elbows directly under your shoulders.
2. Move one hand at a time into a push-up position.
3. Move back to the forearm plank position one hand at a time. Repeat the sequence.
4. Switch the side you start with each time.
Note: Avoid rocking side-to-side. Keep your hips steady and facing the ground.
3. Heels HighAlternate 20 seconds of high intensity and 10 seconds of rest; 4 minutes total 3 of 8
1. Lie on your back with your arms by your side and legs straight and slightly off the ground.
2. Bring your knees toward your chest, and subsequently push your heels upward in a straight line.
3. When pushing your heels upward, attempt to keep your legs straight and perpendicular to the ground.
4. While maintaining control, lower your legs back to the starting position before beginning the next rep.
4. Mountain ClimbersAlternate 20 seconds of high intensity and 10 seconds of rest; 4 minutes total 4 of 8
1. Begin in the top of a plank position on your hands and feet.
2. Keeping your arms straight, and alternate bending your knees and bringing them forward as close to your hands as possible.
3. Focus on maintaining a flat back throughout the movement.
Note: The above demonstration is tailored for beginners. To increase the intensity, pick up the speed and jump your feet forward as you alternate legs.
5. Russian TwistAlternate 20 seconds of high intensity and 10 seconds of rest; 4 minutes total 5 of 8
1. Begin by lying down on your back with your knees bent and feet off the ground.
2. Hold the weight with both hands at waist-level.
3. Twist to transfer the weight to one side of your body, lowering yourself to just above the ground.
4. Continue the twisting motion to each side for time.
Note: This can be done as a bodyweight exercise or with a kettlebell, dumbbell, medicine ball or plate weight.
Workout6 of 8
ACTIVEx Tabata Workouts App7 of 8
Want more workouts like this?
Download the ACTIVEx app, the world's first community-based fitness app. The app features customizable Tabata-based interval workouts and group training experiences with in-app coaching.
You can create and find "packs" to play with, download training plans for 5Ks, 10Ks and more, and celebrate your successes with friends and family.
Download the ACTIVEx app from the iTunes App Store
More: 16 Best Health and Fitness Apps of 2016