Moroccan Chicken With Olive, Apricot and Date Couscous
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon grated or finely minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups dried couscous
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced dried apricots
- 1/4 cup pitted, diced dates
- handful pitted, chopped green or black olives
- handful of chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves, minced
Butterfly chicken breasts—insert a sharp knife into the top of each breast and maneuver the knife just over halfway through the breast and down the side of the breast so one side is cut open and you can lay the breast flat on a meat-safe cutting board.
Mix garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and the remaining spices in a small bowl. Sprinkle both sides of the chicken breasts with the spice mixture, and rub spices into breasts.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil. Place butterflied chicken breasts in pan (you might need to cook these in batches so you don't overcrowd the pan) and allow to brown on the first side for 4 to 5 minutes. Flip chicken breast over and cook on the other side for 3 to 4 minutes, or until chicken is completely cooked through.
In the meantime, bring 1 3/4 cup plus 1 cup broth to a boil in a large pot. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt to boiling water. Add couscous and stir. Bring the mixture back to a boil, then turn off the heat and cover the pot. Allow couscous to sit for at least five minutes. Remove lid and fluff couscous with a fork. Drizzle couscous with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and stir to combine. Add diced apricots, dates, olives, scallions and cilantro, and stir to combine.
Serve the chicken with the couscous. Serves four.
Perfect your nutrition to boost your performance. Sign up for a race near you.