Kale Caesar Salad With Grilled Shrimp
- 1 large head kale, destemmed
- 1/2 loaf day-old Ciabatta or any bread you like
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 pound shrimp, deveined with shells and tails removed
- 1 block Parmigiano cheese
Egg-Free Caesar Salad Dressing
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano cheese
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 anchovy fillets
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
Wash and dry the kale, and cut into bite-sized ribbons. Cut the bread into small cubes. In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add bread cubes and toast on one side for 3 to 4 minutes, then toss pan or stir lightly to brown cubes on other sides (this should take another 4 to 5 minutes). Sprinkle with salt, pepper and dried oregano. Remove from heat and set aside.
Combine all dressing ingredients in a blender, and blend until combined.
Put shrimp into a large bowl and drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil, lemon zest and a bit of salt and pepper. Toss well to coat. Skewer shrimp, and cook on an outdoor grill or indoor grill (you can also broil these in the oven; just keep a close watch on them so they don't overcook) for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until the shrimp just turns pink. Remove from heat and allow to cool on a plate before removing from skewers.
In a large bowl, toss kale with dressing (just to coat; don't saturate the leaves). Distribute kale on plates (two for a main course, or four as an appetizer) and top with shrimp. Sprinkle with croutons. With a vegetable peeler, shave a few ribbons of cheese over each plate. Add black pepper to taste, and serve.