Triathlon is a sport that can sometimes take you out of your comfort zone.
With so many moving parts and different tactics, it's easy to feel overwhelmed--especially when you're facing an open water swim for the first time. Here are some thoughts that may cross your mind as you face the big ol' blue.
1. OK, it's race day. I got this.
2. This wetsuit is snugger than I remember.
3. How the heck am I supposed to zip this up by myself?
4. Maybe I should ask that dude to help me.
5. Why didn't I practice this part before?
6. People are warming up in the water. I'll just save my energy.
7. Did the announcer say to line up in order? What order?
8. The waves look bigger than usual. Way bigger.
9. Will they notice if I drown?
10. Welp, I did this to myself.
11. Why? Why, did I sign up for this?
12. People are pushing to get to the start line. Relax.
13. Oh no, the countdown. 3...2...1...
14. Is it too late to turn around?
15. It's a stampede! What's the rush?
16. Oooooh, this water is cold. Really cold.
17. No turning back now, I guess. Here we go.
18. Wait, I forget. Do we swim clockwise?
19. Why are the buoys different colors?
20. This would be much easier without the waves.
21. Is it just me, or is the current pulling us out to sea?
22. I guess I'll never see dry land again.
23. Whew, got past the waves.
24. But now I'm too tired to actually swim.
25. I guess I'll float on my back for a second.
26. No, Mr. Lifeguard, I'm not "OK."
27. OK, maybe I'm being dramatic. Let's swim.
28. Hey this isn't so bad. Success!
29. SOMETHING JUST TOUCHED MY FOOT. I REPEAT. SOMETHING JUST TOUCHED MY FOOT.
30. I basically just got attacked by a shark.
31. Why me, world? Why me!
32. Never mind. It was just seaweed.
33. Hmmm it's kinda cold out here.
34. Only one thing to do when it's cold.
36. Much better.
37. Did that 14-year-old just pass me?
38. Oh, it's on now.
39. OK, I think he's just really strong.
40. I'll get him next time.
41. The final buoy! I'm not last!
42. Looks like a traffic jam. Why do people stop?
43. It's the final stretch. I can see dry land!
44. More waves. There go my goggles.
45. Can I touch yet?
47. Activate doggy paddle.
48. I can touch!
49. Dry land. It's just so beautiful. *single tear*
50. I'm not crying, it's just the ocean water. Maybe.
51. Why is the beach so steep? I can hardly breathe.
52. I think my leg is permanently stuck in this wetsuit.
53. Hold on... I still have to ride my bike after this? And run?