Here are some tips to get you started:
Pre-Marathon Food Ideas
- Banana with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter
- Low-fat yogurt and a piece of fruit
- Oatmeal with skim milk and fruit
- Pancakes with syrup
- Trail mix with nuts and fruit
- Granola with low-fat milk and fruit
- Smoothie with low-fat yogurt, fresh fruit, wheat germ or flax meal
During a Marathon
Cortisol is a hormone that breaks down muscle and is produced by the body during a workout. Cortisol generates fuel by breaking down the muscle.
Insulin is a hormone that works against cortisol to help prevent muscle breakdown. Therefore, during a marathon, it is important to consume both carbohydrates and protein.
Carbohydrates will trigger the body to make insulin, which will decrease the amount of cortisol produced. This will decrease muscle breakdown. Protein will help sustain your workout, provide lasting energy, and allow for faster recovery.