Do you like to hike or camp with your dog? If so, you should be aware that rattlesnakes or other poisonous snakes that are on trails or campsites. If you and your dog run into a rattlesnake, do you know how your dog would react?
Many dogs inadvertently get bit just from sniffing in the bushes. Some dogs are more curious when they see a snake and try to get closer to get a better look. Others dogs are completely unaware and step right over top of the snakes.
More: 4 Tips for Hiking With Your Dog
Every state, besides Alaska and Hawaii, has some sort of poisonous snake. If your dog approaches a rattlesnake, it could end up being deadly if you don't seek proper treatment.
More: Safety Tips for the Trail
According to PetMD, "If your dog happens to be bitten by a poisonous snake the odds are in favor of a complete recovery. The degree of damage inflicted by a venomous snake is determined by a wide variety of variables. The age and species of snake, the intensity and depth of the fang penetration, the amount of venom injected, the location of the bite, and the size of the dog are just a few of the variables."
Another variable is how soon you get your dog medical treatment.
More: 5 Tips to Camping With Your Dog
How to Prevent a Snake Bite
Keep your dog on a leash while hiking or camping so that you have control.
Stay on the trails where you can see what is ahead. Many snakes will be under rocks, logs or bushes where your dog will be sniffing.
Don't leave your dog unattended where there is a potential for snakes.
Take your dog to a rattlesnake aversion class. The trainer puts a mild shock collar on your dog and introduces them to different snakes by sight, smell and sound. The trainer gives your dog a mild shock if your dog is "curious". The hope is that your dog will associate the snake with the shock and stay away from them.
More: 10 Dog-Friendly Campgrounds