The YMCA of Austin was chartered in 1953 and granted admission to the Austin United Fund in 1954. By the summer of 1955, the YMCA was operating a health club for businessmen and a day camp for youth. During the following years, the YMCA expanded its programs and facilities to accommodate men, women and children of all ages. In 1955, the YMCA of Austin received its status as a 501©(3) non-profit organization. Opening in 1970, the TownLake YMCA was our first full-facility branch.
Today, the YMCA of Austin serves more than 65,000 members and an additional 60,000 program participants through eight branches in Travis, Hays and Bastrop Counties. We also provide Afterschool Child Care at 16 licensed sites in three school districts as well as at five YMCA Learning Centers in affordable housing developments. In Austin, across the nation and around the world, the accomplishments of the Y over the years reveal a mission to constantly search for innovative ways to meet community needs. An understanding of our history contributes to every decision we make, every program we offer and every value we practice. We celebrate our character daily, for years of conviction to do the right thing.