Boost your health, break out of a dietary rut, and enhance your skin's glow on all in one week. Chia seeds are tiny seeds that pack a powerful nutritional punch to your diet.
Chia seeds are believed to originate from Central America and were a big part of the ancient Aztec diet.
According to Eatright.org, "Emerging research suggests that including chia seeds as part of a healthy diet may help improve cardiovascular risk factors such as lowering cholesterol, triglycerides and blood pressure," and adds, "chia seeds are an excellent source of fiber at 10 grams per ounce (about 2 tablespoons), and contain protein and minerals including as iron, calcium, magnesium and zinc."
Take control of your health. See what this tiny seed has to offer with the 7-day chia seed challenge.
What Chia Seeds Offer to Your Health
Chia seeds offer tons of benefits. From weight loss to disease prevention, this little seed offers an enormous amount of nutrition.
- Provides Protein. It's a plant-based protein, so you don't need to worry about soy. Each serving has about 6 grams of protein.
- Great Source of Gluten-free Fiber. Finding dense sources of fiber can be tricky when you're gluten free. One ounce delivers about 10 grams of fiber.
- Stables Moods and Energy Levels. The improved blood sugar regulation from the gel that's formed in your stomach helps stable your mood and increases your energy levels. This causes a slower release of glucose into your blood stream and improves insulin sensitivity.
- Offers Tons of Omega-3 Fatty Acids. There's about 5 grams per serving of omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3s are critical to fight heart disease.
- Fights Metabolic Syndrome. Chia seeds lower blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar. Learn more on metabolic syndrome.
- Offers an Array of Micronutrients. Loaded with calcium, magnesium, manganese, iron, phosphorous and folic acid, just to name a few. Think of those nutrients as an army in your body building strong bones and teeth, improving cardiovascular health and decreasing stress.
- Helps With Weight Loss. Supposedly chia seeds are supposed to expand in your belly, which helps you feel full so you won't over eat. Adding one ounce of chia seeds to your diet can significantly reduce your daily caloric intake.