This is a twist on traditional oatmeal making oats a great carbohydrate-rich recovery option even in the heat of summer. The colorful fruit and crunchy nuts provide crucial antioxidants to support your immune system.
- 2/3 cup uncooked rolled oats
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 2/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2/3 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and grated red apples
- 3 cups mixed berries (fresh or frozen)
1. In a large bowl, combine oats, milk, yogurt and vanilla. Let sit for 5 minutes to soften oats.
2. In a small bowl, combine orange juice, chopped nuts and honey. Grate apple and immediately add to orange juice mixture. Add remaining berries. Stir into yogurt mixture and mix well. Serve chilled.
Makes 8 (1-cup) servings
- 220 calories
- 35 g carbohydrate
- 6 g fiber
- 7 g protein
- 7 g fat
- 26 mg sodium
More: 12 Fast and Easy Breakfast Ideas
Balance this meal with scrambled eggs and salsa for a bit more muscle-stimulating protein and protective antioxidants.
Perfect your nutrition to boost your performance. Sign up for a race near you.