The last thing you want to do as the temperature rises is to spend your time cooking over a hot stove.
One way to beat the heat is to eat foods that keep your body cool. Produce like strawberries, peas, asparagus, carrots and other seasonal fruits and vegetables are flooding store shelves, making the choice to eat healthier and cooler easier than the winter months.
These three quick recipes help you stay cool without turning up the heat in the kitchen.
Cucumber and Mint Gazpacho
- 1 cucumber, seeds removed and roughly chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, seeds removed and roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 avocado, diced
- Bunch spring onions, chopped
- Handful mint, roughly chopped, divided use
- 1-cup plain nonfat yogurt, divided use
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- Hot sauce to taste
In a food processor, add all ingredients minus 1/2 cup of yogurt and bit of mint and puree until smooth. Add hot sauce to taste or water to thin out if necessary.
Chill pureed soup until cold. Serve with spoonful of yogurt on top and mint for garnish.