Forget the word 'diet'. Change your relationship with food into a lifestyle of vibrant colors and tons of flavors with the Mediterranean diet.
People living in the Mediterranean region eat foods that are rich in nutrients and fresh. This lifestyle of healthy eating includes, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, seeds and olive oil. It features fish and poultry rather than red meats and limits the unhealthy fats. And red wine is also consumed regularly, although in moderation..
Converting your lifestyle to the Mediterranean way is easy. Fill your belly and boost your energy with these two recipes.
Turkey Hummus SlidersProvided by the Food Network
Total Time: 40 min Prep: 30 min Cook: 10 min
- 1 English cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Chopped garlic and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 cup hummus, suggested spicy or roasted red pepper (about a 7-ounce container)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 16 mini pita pockets, suggested whole wheat, split open and warmed
- 2 to 3 plum tomatoes, sliced
Toss the cucumber, feta, vinegar, mint, 1-tablespoon olive oil and a pinch each of salt and pepper in a bowl; cover and refrigerate.
Mix the turkey, 1/2-cup hummus, the parsley and coriander in a bowl; season generously with pepper. Dampen your hands and shape the mixture into 16 small patties, about 1/2-inch thick.
Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the patties and cook until browned and cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Cook the remaining patties in the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil.
Mix the remaining 1/2-cup hummus with a splash of hot water in a bowl. Spread some of the hummus on the inside of each pita; fill with a tomato slice, turkey patty and some of the cucumber mixture.
Spinach Farro SaladTotal Time: 45 min Prep: 15 min Cook: 30 min
- 10 ounces farro (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 1 cup sun dried tomato
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2-cup pitted black olives
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In a medium saucepan, combine 4 cups of water with the farro. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until the farro is almost tender. Add 1-teaspoon salt and spinach. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes longer. Drain well and then transfer to a large bowl.
Once the farro has cooled, stir in the rest of the salt, sun dried tomato, olives, red pepper, onion, cheese, olive oil, Dijon mustard and black pepper.
Stay healthy with our nutrition guide.