Cranberry Balsamic Green Beans
Healthy recipe from The Karma Chow Ultimate Cookbook: 125+ Delectable Plant-Based Vegan Recipes for a Fit, Happy, Healthy You by Melissa Costello (HCI Books, $18.95)
Makes about 4 servings
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1–2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4cup dried cranberries
- Zest and juice from 1 medium orange
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate juice or cherry juice—not from concentrate
Steam or blanch the green beans until fork tender, 5 to 15 minutes depending on the size of the beans. Drain and set aside. In a large skillet, melt the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saut? until translucent. Turn up the heat slightly and caramelize the onion until golden, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
Add the cranberries, orange zest, orange juice, vinegar and pomegranate or cherry juice. Simmer until the liquid is reduced by about half. Add the green beans and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Information (per serving): 150 calories; 6 g fat (4.5 g saturated); 0 mg cholesterol; 15 mg sodium; 25 g carbohydrate; 7 g fiber; 4 g protein