This spectacular Mexican layered casserole is hearty and healthy. It’s loaded with lean protein from the chicken, reduced-fat cottage cheese and fat-free refried beans. It’s also perfect for those sensitive to wheat since we’re using corn tortillas instead of lasagna noodles.
The skinny on this generous serving of lasagna is only 359 calories and five grams of fat. A regular high-fat recipe has over twice the calories, 763 and six times more fat at 33 grams! Serve this colorful casserole with a mixed green salad and you’re good to go…
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 45 minutes
- 1 ½ cup reduced-fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup white meat chicken, cooked (skin and bones removed)
- ⅓ cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- ¼ cup (½ can) Ortega diced green chilies
- ⅔ cup jarred pasta sauce
- 6 corn tortillas, cut each into four
- 1 (8oz) can fat-free refried beans
- ⅔ cup salsa (we like Pace Medium Chunky Salsa)
- ¼ cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9” square pan with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl combine the cottage cheese, chicken, corn, and green chilies.
3. Spread the pasta sauce on the bottom of the pan.
4. Arrange 2 tortillas (8 pieces) on top of the pasta sauce
5. Remove the beans from the can, place in a small bowl and soften in the microwave for easy sp reading. Spread the refried beans evenly on the tortillas.
6. Arrange 2 more tortillas (8 pieces) over the beans.
7. Spread the cheese mixture evenly over the tortillas.
8. Cover pan with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and place the last cut tortillas on top of the casserole.
10. Spread the salsa evenly over the tortillas. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese evenly on top.
11. Cover the casserole and bake 15 minutes longer.
Makes four servings
Food Fact: Refried beans consist of cooked and mashed pinto or kidney beans that have been seasoned with garlic, salt and pepper. Some refried beans are fried in lard but fat-free refried beans are not.
Healthy Benefits: Fat-free refried beans are a fairly decent source of lean protein and carbohydrates. They are high in fiber and folate. Reduced-fat cottage cheese is low in fat, calories and cholesterol. It’s a very good source of vitamins B12 and calcium. The only draw-back with both fat-free refried beans and reduced-fat cottage is they're high sodium content…
Storage Tip: This casserole will last for several days in the refrigerator. It also freezes great--cut into single servings, wrap in plastic wrap, and place in a freezer bag. It will keep for several months in the freezer.
Skinny Facts for One Generous Serving: 359 calories, 5g fat, 31g protein, 47g carbs, 7g fiber, 1219mg sodium, 7g sugar
Compared to Fat Facts for One Serving of Regular Lasagna:
763 calories, 33g fat, 50g protein, 67g carbs, 1488mg sodium, 7g sugar