Skinny Garlicky Dip
If you love garlic, this is a must-try! This dip is really delicious and can be used in plenty of ways other than a dip. It works great as a salad dressing or drizzled over steamed broccoli and asparagus. Our skinny dip has only 51 calories and 3 grams of fat for two tablespoons. A full-fat recipe, using mayonnaise instead of Nancy’s Skinny Ranch, has about four times the calories, 209, and eight times the fat, 22 grams. It’s so addicting…
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Refrigerator Time: about 1 ½ hours
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons onions, minced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced (not from a jar)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup of Nancy's Skinny Ranch Dressing
- In a small saucepan, add the vinegar, water, onions, garlic and sugar. Simmer for six minutes.
- Pour mixture into a small bowl and place in the freezer for 15-20 minutes until cool. Set the timer so you don’t forget about it!
- Stir in the Nancy’s Skinny Ranch Dressing.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour to blend flavors (If you need to use it right away, it’s still delicious).
- Skinny Garlicky Dip will keep in fridge for seven days.
Makes 1 ¼ cups
Food Fact: The artichoke is the edible flower bud of a thistle-like plant and part of the sunflower family. They’ve been adored for some 2000 years and are a stable in Italian, Spanish, French and California cooking. The artichoke made it’s way to America by French and Italian explorers. Now California produces 100 percent of the U.S. commercial artichoke crop. Most are grown in Castroville, known as ‘The Artichoke Capital of the world.’
Healthy Benefit: Artichokes are low in calories, with only 68 calories for one medium-cooked globe. They are naturally fat-free. They’re also a good source of fiber, potassium and magnesium. Garlic promotes circulation and lowers cholesterol. It also contains sulfur compounds that may prevent cancer growth.
Shopping Tip: Look for artichokes that are deep green and heavy for their size. Store them unwashed in a plastic bag in the fridge for up to four days.
Eating Tip: To eat an artichoke, simply pull off each leaf and draw the base of the leaf through your teeth to scrape off the soft portion. Discard the rest of the leaf. As you work your way toward the center, the leaves become more tender, with larger edible portions, until you reach the choke. If the center choke has not been removed yet, use a spoon to remove and discard the “hairy” choke, then dive into the best part known as the heart.
Skinny Facts for One Artichoke and 2 Tablespoons of Skinny Garlicky Dip: 119 calories, 3g fat, 11.5g protein, 20g carbs, 7g fiber, 245mg sodium, 7g sugar
Compared to Fat Facts for Regular Artichoke and 2 Tablespoons of Regular Garlicky Dip: 277 calories, 22g fat, 5g protein, 19g carbs, 7g fiber, 395mg sodium, 6g sugar