We can just imagine if you didn’t grow up eating artichokes and you are encountering them for the first time they might appear a little intimidating. But they needn’t be…they’re the best-tasting bud in the thistle family and are very versatile.
The edible parts include a section of the leaves, the heart, and in certain varieties, the stem. From March to May artichokes are plentiful in supermarkets. These nifty powerhouses have 7 grams of fiber, 4.5 grams of protein, 0 fat and 68 calories for a medium-size one. One bite dipped in our fabulous Skinny Garlicky Dip and you’ll know why artichokes have been called "The fruit with a heart of gold."
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40-50 minutes
- 4 large artichokes
- 1 lemon
- Garlic powder
- Fresh ground pepper
- Skinny Garlicky Dip, recipe follows
- Wash artichokes just before using. Make sure to flush out any dirt found between the leaves. Slice off the stem to form a flat base and snap off the tough outer leaves closest to the stem. Trim off about ½ inch of the pointed top. Using scissors, snip off the prickly tips of the outer leaves. Rub all edges with lemon to prevent discoloration.
- In a large pot or roaster, fill about 3 inches of water. Place the artichokes in one layer on the bottom. Sprinkle each with garlic powder and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and cook over moderate heat for about 40-50 minutes until a leaf comes off easily. Drain and cool enough to handle.
- To remove the center choke, gently spread open the top leaves of each artichoke and using a spoon, remove and discard the fuzzy choke.
- Serve warm or cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Serve with our Skinny Garlicky Dip on the side.
Makes four servings