This crunchy bowl has umami—the fifth taste—written all over it, thanks to the savory flavors of shitake mushrooms, tofu and soy sauce. And kale, rich in vitamins and more than 45 different flavonoid compounds, is a super green food everyone should eat more of.
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon wasabi paste
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup sliced shitake mushrooms
- 7 ounces firm tofu (about half of a 16-oz. package), drained and cubed
- 4 cups packed chopped kale (about 1 bunch)
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or wok. Add the onion and garlic, and saut? for 3 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, sesame seeds, wasabi paste, red pepper flakes, mushrooms and tofu, and stir well. Saut? them for an additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in remaining 1/3 cup water and the kale. Saut? until the kale is slightly wilted and crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
- Spoon 1/2 cup cooked rice into each of four individual bowls. Top with about 1-1/2 cups shitake-kale mixture.
Nutritional information per serving: 320 calories, 54 g carbohydrates, 12 g protein, 7 g fat, 304 mg sodium, 4 fiber.
Perfect your nutrition to boost your performance. Sign up for a race near you.