Salads are a great healthy dish, since you can be creative with the food choices. Try out this salad for a salad popping with flavor and taste. Enjoy!
Mandarin Orange Salad
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup milk
1/2 to 1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
pinch ground white pepper
cayenne pepper to taste
3 large heads butter lettuce - torn, washed and dried
1 small Vidalia sweet onion, peeled and sliced into thin rings
1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
6 ounces fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
salt and pepper to taste
1. Prepare the dressing by whisking together the sour cream, mayonnaise, milk, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, white pepper and cayenne pepper.
2. Store in an air-tight container and refrigerate.
3. Prepare the salad in a large bowl by combining the lettuce, onion, oranges and mushrooms.
4. Add enough dressing to coat and toss.
5. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and add croutons if desired.
Norfolk Nutrition Examiner Sharon Oberne is a wife, mother, author and educator with a passion for enlightening the public on health-related products. She has a Master's in Reading Education from Old Dominion University.
Examiner.com is the inside source for everything local. Powered by Examiners, the largest pool of knowledgeable and passionate contributors in the world, we provide unique and original content to enhance life in your local city wherever that may be.